Jun 18, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog SVC 
2018-2019 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Services




Skagit Valley College admits students on a quarterly first come, first served basis. If you are a high school graduate and you apply to the college, you are eligible for admission. If you are not a high school graduate, and you are 18 years of age or older, you may be admitted if:

  1. Your high school class has graduated; OR
  2. Your high school district has released you; OR
  3. You have successfully completed the General Educational Development (GED®) test

If you are under the age of 18 and a high school junior or senior, you may apply to be conditionally admitted. Students who seek to be conditionally admitted must receive permission to enroll from the high school district in which you reside and the Skagit Valley College Associate Dean of Enrollment Services.

Students are admitted to SVC in the order applications are received. During registration, if a course fills, students who could not enroll in the course may place themselves on a wait list. As vacancies occur, students on the wait list will be admitted in the order in which they appear on the wait list.  See additional information about wait list procedures on the SVC website.

Running Start

High school juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher are eligible for Running Start. To become a Running Start student, students should speak with their high school counselor or contact the Counseling Office at Skagit Valley College. You must submit an admissions application and a current high school transcript. A signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form is required at the time a Running Start student registers.

College in the High School

College in the High School (CHS) is a dual credit program which provides college-level academic courses to 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students. Courses are taught at the high school, by high school teachers, with college curriculum managed by college faculty and staff.  Check with the high school counselor or teacher regarding the available academic and career and technical courses.

How to Apply

Mount Vernon Campus:  360.416.7700                                                                                                                         
Whidbey Island Campus:  360.679.5319    
South Whidbey Center:  360.341.2324    
San Juan Center:  360.378.3220    

Submit a Skagit Valley College Application, available online through the SVC website. Learn more about your steps to becoming a Cardinal here: www.skagit.edu/getstarted.

How to Apply as a Drop-in Student

If you would like to attend SVC but are not seeking a degree or certificate, you may register as a “drop-in” student. Go to www.skagit.edu/getstarted for more information and current registration dates. The SVC Quarterly Schedule is available online at www.skagit.edu/schedules. Students who plan to enroll in any courses that require pre-requisite courses or skills must complete an assessment to determine eligibility.  This may be completing assesment exams or providing transcripts from prior institutions.

If You Are a Veteran

Mount Vernon Campus: 360.416.7610                                                                                                                         
Whidbey Island Campus: 360.679.5389    

If you are a veteran, or a dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for educational benefits. To apply for your VA educational benefit, contact the Veterans’ Education Office at Skagit Valley College and complete the online application at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. You are required to apply for admission to Skagit Valley College and verify enrollment with the Veterans’ Education Office at SVC. If you have earned credits at other colleges, you must furnish official transcripts during the first quarter of enrollment.

Skagit Valley College participates in the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31), the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), and the Fry Scholarship. For students eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Fry Scholarship, tuition will be paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs once the student certifies enrollment with the SVC Veterans’ Education Office. For more information about GI Bill benefits and eligibility contact any SVC’s Veterans Education Office.

The Veterans’ Education Office at Skagit Valley College will ensure that the classes you register for are necessary to achieve your degree or certificate. Any changes in your class schedule must be reported immediately to the Veterans’ Education Office at SVC. Benefits may be adversely affected or even terminated if it is discovered that you failed to attend classes, withdraw after the drop period, or take courses not necessary to your stated educational objective. It is your responsibility to report any changes, drops, adds, or withdrawals to the Veterans’ Education Office.

Skagit Valley College expects all students to make satisfactory progress in accordance with established college scholastic standards. Student Work Study positions may be available in the Veteran’s Education Offices on the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses as well as in the local communities for veterans attending school. For more information, contact the Veterans’ Education Office.

International Students


The International Programs Office provides services to international students attending Skagit Valley College.

If you choose to study at Skagit Valley College, you are sure to have the opportunity to receive an excellent education. You will find many qualities that may meet your needs: a family-like atmosphere where everyone is welcome, an appreciation of diversity and a desire to enrich the education we provide with a global perspective.

Students from throughout the world choose Skagit Valley College for many reasons including:

  • Safer, smaller town environment - Mount Vernon was named “Best Small Town in America”
  • Family-like atmosphere
  • No TOEFL test is required for admission
  • Dynamic Conversation Partner Program
  • Peer Mentor Program
  • Small classes, personal attention
  • One-to-one attention through an international student office with staff members to help you with all your needs
  • Excellent transfer record to 4-year institutions
  • Academic English as a Second Language Program, if needed
  • SVC International Homestay program
  • Convenient on-campus student housing (dormitories)
  • Access to personal academic and transfer advisors
  • English tutoring services through the Tutoring Center
  • Excellent technical programs for career training (25 total)
  • Active clubs & student organizations
  • Close to Seattle and Vancouver, Canada
  • Conveniently located to year-round recreation (skiing, hiking, scuba diving, golfing and kayaking)
  • Public transportation and airport pickup upon first arrival

English Language Requirements

International students may apply with or without TOEFL scores.

Applicants without TOEFL Scores

Strong skills in English help ensure success in other classes. Students without TOEFL scores will be given a placement test before registering for classes. Students whose test results show skills adequate for college work will be excused from Academic English as a Second Language (AESL). Others will be required to take AESL classes until the language requirement has been met.

Applicants with TOEFL Scores

  • TOEFL scores below iBT 45, CBT 133, or PBT 450: Students will be required to take Intensive English courses until they are adequately prepared for Bridge Levels. Students at Bridge Levels are considered matriculated college students.
  • TOEFL scores iBT 45-52, CBT 133-150, or PBT 450-473: Students will be accepted into Bridge 1, which is a combination of AESL and college-level classes.
  • TOEFL scores iBT 53-60, CBT 153-170, or PBT 477-497: Students will be accepted into Bridge 2, which is a combination of AESL and college-level classes.
  • TOEFL scores iBT 61, CBT 173, or PBT 500 and above: Students are waived from any AESL or Bridge levels and will begin to work directly on their degree.

Transfer Credits

Many students receive transfer credits from their previous institutions which are located overseas. In some cases, students have received between 50 and 60 transfer credits. Students will need to go through a two-step process of having foreign transcripts evaluated.  First, submit transcripts for initial evaluation by one of the member organizations on www.naces.org.  Second, after receiving the official evaluation from the NACES member organization, submit official evaluation results along with original transcripts and the SVC transcript request form to Enrollment Services for an official credit evaluation. (Please note that all transcripts should be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.)  It is recommended that students start this process as soon as possible.

Application Process

All documents should be written in English or accompanied by an official English translation. Original documents are required with all applications. It is your responsibility to make copies before submitting. We will not make copies for you. An admission decision will be made after all documents have been submitted and evaluated.

Application Steps:

  • Complete international Student Application
  • Submit official bank statement and complete Certificate of Financial Responsibility (sponsor letter), located on the back of the application. (See www.skagit.edu/international for current costs.)
  • Submit official transcripts from high school and any previous colleges, including any ESL training.
  • Include a recommendation letter from someone (not a family member) who can comment on your character and potential for success in an academic setting.
  • Copy of picture page in passport
  • If applicable, include a TOEFL score.** The SVC code for your TOEFL score is 4699.
  • $25 (U.S.) application fee.
**This will not be necessary for students who wish to take advantage of our “No TOEFL” policy.

In addition to the above application process, international students already attending school in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa and who plan to transfer to Skagit Valley College should also submit:

  1. Copy of I-94
  2. Copy of all previous I-20s issued.
  3. Transfer student information sheet completed by your current International Student Advisor
  4. Copy of passport pages that contain photograph and VISA information.

Basic Education

Students who want to improve English language skills, complete a HS21+ Adult High School Diploma  or GED® , or improve academic math, reading and writing skills to prepare for college level course work may be eligible for Basic Education classes. To enroll in English Language Acquisition (ELA), High School Completion (HSC) or College and Career Bridge (CCB) students must complete a registration form for an orientation class (ELA 010 or CCB 010).  During the orientation students will be assessed and placed in the appropriate classes. Tuition for the program is $25 per quarter. Students may qualify for a tuition waiver based on income. For more information or assistance call 360-416-7640 or visit Lewis Hall room 127on the Mount Vernon Campus.

For more information:
Phone: 360.416.7734 | Fax: 360.416.7868
E-mail: internationaladmissions@skagit.edu
Web: www.skagit.edu/international

Determination of Residence

Determining Residency

Residency status is determined at the time your application for admission or class registration is processed. The presumption is that before domicile is established, an individual must do everything a resident of Washington is required to do as stated below:

  1. Students must prove conclusively that they have not come to Washington State primarily for educational purposes.
  2. Students must live in the state for at least 12 consecutive months as legal residents. A legal resident is an individual who has relinquished all valid legal ties (e.g., driver’s license, voter registration, vehicle registration, etc.) with their former state of residence and established such ties in Washington.
  3. Establish legal ties:
    • Permanent employment of 30+ hours will be a factor (if taking more than 6 credits a quarter during the first year of being present in Washington State).
    • Driver’s license/state ID. Students must obtain a Washington State Driver’s License within 30 days of arrival if they have a current out-o fstate driver’s license. A Washington State Identification Card must be obtained if student has no driver’s license.
    • All motor vehicles, RV, boat, trailer registrations. All registrations must be registered in Washington. Students who own or drive a vehicle in Washington must be registered in Washington within 30 days of arrival.
    • Voter registration. Students who have a current out-of-state voter’s registration must register to vote in Washington within 30 days of arrival. If an individual has previously registered to vote in another state, they must register to vote in Washington. If the student does not register to vote in Washington, this means that s/he may still vote absentee in the prior state of residency
    • Establish a bank account in Washington.
    • Be financially independent for the current and prior calendar years. (Students who are not 25 years of age or older must submit their parents’ most recent tax returns).

Once domicile is established, the student may be eligible for in-state tuition 12 months from the date of arrival if all legal ties were in place within 30 days. This is because the Washington statute says that domicile must be in existence for one year immediately prior to the first day of the quarter for which the student wants to be classified as a resident.

The determination for residency can be complicated and other factors may help students establish proof of domicile. After filling out the residency questionnaire, a residency officer will review it and may request additional documentation.

Proof of Residency

No single factor or specific combination of factors provide a guarantee that a student will be eligible for residency status. A student can begin to establish and document residency in the state of Washington by completing the following:

  • Obtain a Washington State driver license or identification card.
  • Register all motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, boat, and trailers in the state of Washington.
  • Register to vote in the state of Washington.
  • Provide copies of your rent receipts (or lease agreements or home purchase papers).
  • Open (or transfer) your checking/savings account to a bank branch in Washington State.
  • Keep receipts from Immigration and Naturalization Service that show the date your application for Permanent Resident Status was filed (if applicable).

After you have established domicile in the state of Washington for the required period, it is your responsibility to request a change in residency status. Applications for a change in classification will be accepted up to the thirtieth calendar day following the first day of the quarter for which application is made.

For additonal information

  • Mount Vernon Campus: 360.416.7620
  • Whidbey Island Campus: 360.675.6656

Residency for Military Personnel

If you are active duty military, stationed in the state of Washington, you, your spouse and dependents qualify as residents for tuition purposes. At the time you, your spouse or dependent family members apply for admission, you must provide documentation such as a copy of your military ID card or other appropriate documents.

Student Eligibility to Pay In-State Tuition

RCW 28B.15.012(e) (commonly referred to as HB 1079) which took effect July 1, 2003 allows people who are not documented as citizens to attend college paying in-state tuition. Eligibility: People who have resided in Washington State for the three years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school or who have completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington State for the three years immediately before receiving the equivalent of the diploma and who have continuously resided in the state since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.