May 30, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog SVC 
2018-2019 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Financial Aid and Funding


For academic purposes and certification for various benefits (insurance, student loans and financial aid, social security, tax credits, etc.), full-time status is defined as 12 or more credits. The tuition schedule, special fees and other class fees are listed in this catalog, on the website, or you can call one of the following numbers for more information:

  • 360.416.7600 (Mount Vernon)
  • 360.341.2324 (South Whidbey)
  • 360.679.5330 (Whidbey Island)
  • 360.378.3220 (San Juan)

Lower Division Tuition Table

Courses below 300-level; does not apply to ABE, ESL, or HSC courses

No. of Credits Washington Resident Non-State Resident Non-US Resident
1 $107.59 $125 $285.01
2 $215.18 $250 $570.02
3 $322.77 $375 $855.03
4 $430.36 $500 $1,140.04
5 $537.95 $625 $1,425.05
6 $645.54 $750 $1,710.06
7 $753.13 $875 $1,995.07
8 $860.72 $1,000 $2,280.08
9 $968.31 $1,125 $2,565.09
10 $1,075.90 $1,250 $2,850.10
11 $1,129.16 $1,349.52 $2,910.58
12 $1,182.42 $1,449.04 $2,971.06
13 $1,235.68 $1,548.56 $3,031.54
14 $1,288.94 $1,648.08 $3,092.02
15 $1,342.20 $1,747.60 $3,152.50
16 $1,395.46 $1,847.12 $3,152.50
17 $1,448.72 $1,946.64 $3,212.98
18 $1,501.98 $2,046.16 $3,273.46
19 $1,598.51 $2,134.45 $3,333.94
20 $1,695.04 $2,222.74 $3,607.89











Upper Division Tuition Table

300- and 400-level courses

No. of Credits Washington Resident Non-State Resident Non-US Resident
1 $209.98 $231.82 $608.95
2 $419.96 $463.63 $1,217.90
3 $629.94 $695.45 $1,826.85
4 $839.92 $927.27 $2,435.80
5 $1,049.90 $1159.08 $3,044.75
6 $1,259.88 $1390.9 $3,653.70
7 $1,469.86 $1622.72 $4,262.65
8 $1,679.84 $1854.53 $4,871.60
9 $1,889.82 $2086.35 $5,480.55
10 $2,099.80 $2318.17 $6,089.50
11 $2,110.29 $2524.5 $6,100.73
12 $2,120.78 $2730.84 $6,111.96
13 $2,131.27 $2937.18 $6,123.19
14 $2,141.76 $3143.51 $6,134.42
15 $2,152.25 $3349.85 $6,145.65
16 $2,162.74 $3556.19 $6,156.88
17 $2,173.23 $3762.52 $6,168.11
18 $2,183.72 $3968.86 $6,179.34
19 $2,382.64 $4163.97 $6,777.23
20 $2,581.56 $4359.07 $7,375.12












Subject to change by the Washington State legislature and/or the Skagit Valley College Board of Trustees.

Additional Fees

ABE-ESL-HSC Fee $25.00 per person per quarter


Student Fees

Student Technology Fee $5.00 per credit ($40.00 maximum)
General Use Fee $3.50 per credit ($59.50 maximum)
Universal Technology Fee $10 per credit
Student Building Fee $1.50 per credit ($15 maximum)




Special Student Fees

State Classified Employees $20.00
Replacement Diploma $10.00


Class Fees (per quarter)

Allied Health Education (AHE):
AHE 114 $150
AHE 133,135 $75
AHE 101, 200 $20
AHE 110, 132, 134 $25
AHE 106 $75
AHE 107,108,113,115,120, 122, 123 $100
AHE 117 $240







Art Studio $40
Automotive Tech (AT)
AT 104, 105 $40
AT 121, 131, 207, 210 $140
AT 107, 124, 133, 205, 212, 215 $160
AT 141 $240
AT 220, 225 $120
BMT 101, 102, 105, 167 & OBT 140 $30
BASEC Lab Fees:
ENVC 302 $25
CHEM 301, ENVC 304, 310, 315, 320, 327,
405, 407, 412, 420, and 424
$80 per course
Biological Sciences 205 Summer Field Study Course Fee $575
Composites Lab Fee - CMPST 121, 123, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 220 $200
Computer Information Systems - CIS 180, 221,222, 223, 233 $100
Computer Information Systems -104, 105, 114, 118, 145, 146, 147, 148, 150, 240, 241, 242, 243 $5
Craft Brew - BRW 101, 103, 105, 120, 135 $15
Craft Brew - BRW 160 $200
Craft Brew - BRW 161 $300
Craft Brew - BRW 198 $50
Criminal Justice Lab Fees:
CJ 215, 216, 257 $35
Parks Law Enforcement Academy-CJ 241 $1,550
Police Reserve Academy-CJ 236 $325
Culinary Arts:
CAHM 198, 298 $125
CAHM 238, 239 $100
CAHM 165, 174, 185, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 $200
CAHM 142 $40
Dental Assistant - DEN 110, 112, 114 $50
Desert Odyssey Learning Community $1,000
Diesel - DSL 102, 103 104, 202, 203, 204 $150
DRMA 101, 133,134, 136, 137, 138, 139, 151, 152, 153, 154, 230, 235 $20
Early Childhood Ed (ECED, EDUC):  
ECED& 105, 107; EDUC& 115, 122, 160 $10
English Mount Vernon Lab Fee:
ENGL(&) 99, 101, 102, 103, 112, 113, 115, 120, 152, 202, 233, 250, 254, 283, 299, 324 $6
Environmental Science 101 Summer Field Study Course Fee $350
Environmental Conservation Lab Fee:
ENVC 225 $40
ENVC 101, 102, 112, 122, 123, 130, 140, 165, 201, 202, 210, 211, 212, 220, 221, 231, 232, 244, 245, 249 $75
Environmental Sustainable Agriculture $75
FIRE Science Fees:
FIRE 119 $520
FIRE 120 $375
FIRE 121 $250
FIRE 122 $550
FIRE 246 $68
FIRE 123 $150
FIRE 126 $55
FIRE 130 $30
FIRE 160 $230
FIRE 240 $85
FIRE 242 $90
FIRE 247, 248 $45
Flagging ID Card Replacement $5
Nurse Name Tag Replacement $5
General Liability Insurance Coverage $2.50
Geographic Information Systems Lab Fee:
GIS 101, 102, 105, 106, 203 $30
Health & Fitness Lab $20
Kayak class (Whidbey) $10
Life Drawing $40
MANF 110, 140, 145, 150, 156 $35
MANF 103, 117, 122, 125, 130, 131, 210, 215, 250, 256 $70
MANF 115, 120, 190, 205 $100
Marine Maintenance Technology lab fee
MT 105, 132, 133, 136, 160, 161, 204, 234, 270 $105
MT 216, 236, 240 $50
Math Lab Course Fee $22
Multimedia Game and Web Development:
MIT 205 - NCTA Fee $20
Music Lab Fees:
MUSC(&) 108, 111, 112, 113, 121, 122, 123, 137, 138, 141, 144, 160, 211, 212, 231, 241, 242, 243  $20
Music Lesson Course Fee $550
Natural Science Field Study Course Fee $100
NURS 100 (NAC) Lab Fee $75
NURS 102, 120, 182,192, 282 $50
NURS 101 $55
NURS 285, 288 $25
NURS 201, 202 $200
NURS 173, 273 $300
NURS 276, 279 $150
NURS 171, 181, 191, 271, 281 $30
NURS 291, 292 $60
Nursing/Medical Assistant/Pharmacy Tech Malpractice Insurance (per year) $18.50
Nutrition Lab fee $20
Office and Business Technology Fees:  
OBT 98, 99, 115, 116, 118, 122, 124, 126, 132, 134, 135, 142, 145, 146, 147, 160, 161, 162, 204, 210, 215, 232, 244 $10
OBT 140 $15
OBT 242 $50
Science Lab courses $56
Science Lab - BIOL& 260 $84
Student Intern Insurance (per year) $10
Technical Design TECD 103, 104, 105, 107 $100
Veterinary Assistant:
VETA 105, 107, 110, 112, 113 - NCTA fee $70
VETA 111 $100
WT 111, 112, 113, 114, 116, 117, 224, 225, 226, 227 $25
WT 131, 133, 231, 234 $45
WT 200, 211, 212, 213, 221, 222, 223 $200














































































Whidbey Swimming $10






Non-disabled $5.00


Parking Fines

General $10
Carpool Parking without permit $20
If parked in handicapped $75
If parked in fire lanes $50




Credit by exam (per credit) $2
Tuition costs must be paid in addition to the $2/credit  
Retest for COMPASS $25
GED® $150
Writing and other Retests $30
GED® Transcript $4
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam  
SVC Student $82
Non-SVC Student $97
Prior Learning Assessment $250/flat fee
Non-SVC proctored private tests $40 (per hr.)








State Support of Higher Education Students

The average cost to educate a resident full-time community or technical college student for the 2018-19 academic year is $8,640. Students pay an average of $3,192 in tuition toward this cost. The remaining $5,448 is an “opportunity pathway” provided by the State and is funded by state taxes and other sources. The amounts shown are averages for a full-time, resident student. The actual tuition a student pays will vary due to credit load, residency status and other factors.

Pursuant to RCW 28B.15.0681 the sources of all institutional revenue received during the prior academic year and the uses of tuition revenue collected during the prior academic year can be found here.

Net Price Calculator

SVC has provided a tool intended to assist you in determining the estimated net price of your education. The net price is calculated as estimated cost of attendance (tuition and required fees, books and supplies, room and board (meals), and other approved related expenses) minus estimated grant and scholarship aid. All figures provided by the calculator are estimates and are subject to change. While all efforts are made to ensure the accuracy of the calculator, every student’s situation is different so students are encouraged to do their own calculations as well. The calculator can be found on the college website at

Basic Education

Tuition for the program is $25 per quarter.  Students may qualify for a tuition waiver based on income. Students who want to improve English language skills, complete a HS21+ Adult High School Diploma or GED®, or improve academic math, reading and writing skills to prepare for college level course work may be eligible for Basic Education classes. To enroll in English Language Acquisition (ELA), High School Completion (HSC) or College and Career Bridge (CCB) students must complete a registration form for an orientation class (ELA 010 or CCB 010). During the orientation students will be assessed and placed in the appropriate classes. For more information or assistance call 360-416-7640 or visit Lewis Hall room 127 on the Mount Vernon Campus.

Penalties for Non-Payment

Tuition and fees are the student’s responsibility. Failure to attend a class does not constitute a course drop/withdrawal. Students who do not officially withdraw will be assessed full tuition and fees, and refunds will not be made. Requests for late drops will not be granted simply because the student was unaware of the policies, or failed to submit a drop form.

In the event of non-payment, the college may pursue the collection of amounts due as allowed by law, and will add collection costs to the amount due. Unpaid accounts may be sent to an outside collection agency and may be reported to one or more credit bureau reporting services.  Collection agency fees of up to 50% will be assessed on the unpaid balance of an account, after internal collection efforts have failed to result in full payment.  Students are responsible for paying all collection fees assessed. In the event of a disagreement about payments due, you may request an informal hearing with the Vice President of Student Services. 

Refund Policy

Information on the Refund Policy can be found in Policies and Regulations.

Veterans/Military Tuition Funding

Eligibility for Resident Rate Tuition

ESSB 5355 modified the definition of resident student to comply with federal requirements established by the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act). The Choice Act requires states to charge in-state tuition and fees to “covered individuals” training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and the Montgomery GI Bill®.
A “covered individual” is defined in the Choice Act as:

  • A Veteran who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from active duty.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Individuals who initially meet the requirements above will maintain “covered individual” status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at SVC even if they are outside the 3-year window or enroll in multiple programs. Continuity of enrollment is not broken by holiday vacations; vacation periods; periods during the school year between quarters or by non-enrollment in summer quarter.

It is not necessary for the student to take steps to establish Washington as their permanent domicile although they may want to do so if they plan to stay in Washington, especially if they plan to attend college after they exhaust their benefits.

Veterans Tuition Discount

A veteran who was honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces may be eligible for a 20% tuition waiver if the student meets all of the following requirements.

  • Can qualify as a WA resident at the time of enrollment per RCW 28B.15.012.
  • While serving as an active or reserve member in the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard, the veteran served in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil, or international waters, or in another location in support of U.S. Armed Forces that were on foreign soil or international waters.
  • Veteran is ineligable for 100% GI Bill benefits.
  • That service is recorded on the veterans DD214 or other official documents.
Please contact the Veterans’ Education Office to determine eligibility.
Mount Vernon Campus:
Whidbey Island Campus:

Tuition Waivers for Families of Fallen or 100% Disabled Veterans and National Guard Members

Skagit Valley College will waive all tuition and certain fees for the children, adopted children or stepchildren, and spouses of eligible veterans or National Guard members, who died while on active duty, are permanently and totally disabled because of service connected injury or illness, are missing in action, are prisoners of war or who are rated by the Veteran’s Administration as 100% disabled. “To be eligible a child must be a Washington domiciliary between 17 and 26 and the child of a Washington State domiciliary. A surviving spouse, to be eligible must be a Washington domiciliary, and it must have been ten years or less since the loss. In addition, the spouse must not have remarried. Each recipient’s continued eligibility is subject to the school’s satisfactory progress policy.”

Total credits earned using this waiver may not exceed two hundred quarter credits, or equivalent of semester credits. The 200 quarter credit limit applies to all combined credits earned via this waiver at state of Washington colleges & universities.

Note: An “eligible veteran or national guard member” means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the U.S. military in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.

Military Tuition Assistance

  1. Talk to your military unit’s designated Education Services Officer (ESO) about requirements for applying for Tuition Assistance and complete required training. 
  2. Submit a Special Request form with your military unit requesting permission to take classes and apply for Tuition Assistance(the Navy refers to this form as a Special Request Chit).  
  3. Once the SpecialRequest form is approvedand returned to you, you can then apply for the school, register for classes, and complete an Education Plan. 
  4. The next step is to go to the TA website, On the Tuition Assistance Overview splash-page, click on the box labeled Tuition Assistance Steps’ and follow steps 1-6. Submit your WebTA application.
  5. Generate a Voucher, stating that you are authorized Tuition Assistance funding, and print/sign and bring it to the enrollment office of the institution.

For information, contact: Sue Jensen, Program Manager, Enrollment Services, Whidbey Island Campus, 360.679.5329

Financial Aid

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7666
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5320

As a student at Skagit Valley College, financial aid in the form of grants, loans, and employment may be available to assist with educational expenses. Financial aid is awarded according to policies set by the US Department of Education, the state of Washington, and Skagit Valley College. To determine your financial need, you must first complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at or, if you are ineligible to complete the FAFSA, the Washington Application for Student Financial Aid (WASFA) application at Please visit the Financial Aid Office for assistance with completing the applications. Most financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis relative to need and subject to availability of funds. Priority funding dates are established on an annual basis and are published on the Financial Aid website.

Eligibility Determinations

The information provided on the FAFSA/WASFA determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC will then be subtracted from the budgeted “cost of attendance” to determine your financial need. Need-based aid (grants and waivers) is awarded based on unmet financial need. After your FAFSA/WASFA application has been received, additional information will be requested of you to verify the information provided and to assist in an equitable distribution of available funds. Students who have not been awarded financial aid are still responsible for the payment of their tuition and fees. Students who do not have completed applications submitted by the priority deadlines established by SVC will not be guaranteed to have financial aid awarded by tuition deadlines. Students should familiarize themselves with the priority filing deadlines on the SVC Financial Aid website.

Financial Aid Refund and Repayment Policy

Financial aid students are subject to the Federal Title IV, State, and institutional refund and repayment policies. It is the responsibility of the financial aid recipient to carefully review these policies to determine the ramifications of withdrawing or ceasing attendance. Refund and repayment policies are outlined in the Conditions of Award, available on the SVC Financial Aid website. Sample repayment calculations are available upon request. Financial Aid students who officially or unofficially withdraw from all classes may owe a repayment of federal, state, and/or institutional aid.

Other Eligibility Information

Federal regulations require that students must have obtained a high school diploma or GED® or have demonstrated an ability to benefit in an adult learning environment (as defined by the US Department of Education) in order to be eligible for financial aid funding. If you receive financial aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP), in accordance with the SAP policy, which is available on the SVC Financial Aid web page.


Federal PELL Grant

A federal grant program, based on significant financial need, for students enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program. Eligibility is established by completing the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

A federal grant program for students with exceptional financial need, who are enrolled at least half-time (6+ credits). Preference is given to students receiving Pell Grants.

State Need Grant (SNG)

An income-based state grant program for low-income state residents based on family size and income. State Need Grant is dependent on limited state funding, and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to students who are in the College Bound Scholarship program. Eligibility is established by completing the FAFSA or WASFA. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 aid-eligible credits.

College Bound Scholarship (CBS)

The College Bound Scholarship program provides financial assistance to low-income students who want to achieve the dream of a college education. Students who enrolled in the CBS program in 7th or 8th grade, completed high school with a 2.0 GPA or higher, and meet all other SVC financial aid requirements will be eligible for the maximum award amount each year. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 aid-eligible credits.

Washington State Tuition Waiver

State tuition waivers may be awarded to state residents with demonstrated financial need, to assist with tuition payment.

SVC Grants

An institutional grant awarded to students with demonstrated financial need, to assist with direct and indirect costs associated with their cost of attendance, as determined by SVC. Students must meet residency requirements to qualify.


Federal, State, and Institutional Work-Study

Work-Study programs offer part-time on-campus work for students with demonstrated financial need. If eligible, you may work up to 19 hours per week and choose from a variety of jobs that offer valuable career-related experience. Work-Study allows you to earn an hourly wage for work. Paychecks are issued twice a month. Placements are not guaranteed. Program eligibility is available to students enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits per quarter) who meet all other eligibility requirements. Funds available are based on limited annual funding. To view work-study positions, you can visit the financial aid website and search the online job board.


Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans

Federal Direct Loans are long-term, low interest/fee loans available through the school and the U.S. Department of Education. Interest rates/fees change July 1 each year. Current interest rates and fees are updated on the SVC Financial Aid website. A FAFSA is required in order to determine eligibility and receive Direct Loans. Students must be pursuing an aid-eligible degree or certificate. First time borrowers will have their funds delayed until 30 days into the first quarter.

  • A separate application is required by SVC in order to receive Direct Loans. The application is available on the Financial Aid website and should be completed once the student has received their award notification and determines additional funding may be needed.

Direct Subsidized Loans

The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on Direct Subsidized Loans while you are enrolled at least half-time and for the first six months after you leave school. Subsidized Loans are available to students with demonstrated financial need.

Students are eligible to receive Subsidized Loans for 150% of their degree/certificate length. If the maximum timeframe is exceeded, loss of interest subsidy will occur. See ‘Federal Direct Loans-Getting-Started’ under the Financial Aid portion of our website for more details.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans* (see table below)

Unsubsidized Loans do not require demonstrated financial need and begin accruing interest upon first disbursement. Students are responsible for paying the interest on Direct Unsubsidized Loans. If students choose not to pay the interest while attending school and during the grace period, interest will accrue and be added to the principal amount of the loan.

*Borrower Limits
Year Dependent Students Independent Students
Annual Loan Limit (0-45 credits) $5,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $9,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Annual Loan Limit (46-90 credits) $6,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $10,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Annual Loan Limit (90+ credits) $7,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $12,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans

Federal Direct Parent PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) Loans are not based on need, however the student must complete the FAFSA and all other requested documents. PLUS loans are obtained by parents of dependent students to help meet their educational costs. The interest rate/fees for this loan changes July 1 each year and interest is not deferred. Current interest rates and fees are updated on the SVC Financial Aid website.


The SVC Foundation scholarship application process for the following school year, begins in December or January of each year, with submission deadlines in mid-March. All prospective, current, and graduating SVC students are eligible to apply. Other departmental and outside agency scholarships may be available throughout the year. For more information on SVC Foundation Scholarships, visit the Foundation website.

Workforce Grant Scholarship Programs

Worker Retraining


Worker Retraining is a state-funded program that provides job-related training & employment services to dislocated and unemployed workers to help them gain additional training in their existing field or get started on a new career path. You may be eligible for Worker Retraining if you:

  • Have been laid off or have received a layoff notice from a WA State employer AND
  • Are currently receiving or are eligible to receive Washington State unemployment benefits; OR
  • Have exhausted Washington State unemployment insurance benefits within the past 24 months.

WorkFirst Program


The WorkFirst Program assists eligible parents with job skills training and preparation. Parents who qualify for the program may be eligible to receive WorkFirst Tuition Assistance to pay for one quarter of tuition, fees and textbooks for approved classes. Parents who are working in paid employment and meet the income guidelines maybe eligible. Those on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) referred by their case manager for vocational training receive priority. For more information please contact the Workforce Grants office.

Basic Food Employment and Training Program


The Basic Food Employment and Training Program (BFET) assists Food Stamp recipients who have been assessed as needing basic education, high school, GED®/ABE, ESL or vocational training in order to increase their opportunities for employment. Allowable costs include tuition, fees and books for education and support services. All Food Stamp recipients not receiving TANF may be eligible for the Food Stamp Employment and Training Program. For more information please contact the Workforce Grants office. 

Opportunity Grant


The goal of the Opportunity Grant is to help low-income adults reach the educational tipping point - and beyond - in high-wage, high-demand careers. Reaching the tipping point allows the least prepared individuals to complete 45 credits, receive a credential, an increase job skills and knowledge through career pathways. Eligible students pursuing approved pathways including Early Childhood Education; Allied Health; Nursing, Manufacturing; Welding; Manufacturing, Office and Accounting Technologies, Business Management and Automotive may receive funds to cover tuition, mandatory fees up to 45 credits and up to $1,000 for books/supplies per academic year. For more information please contact the Workforce Grants office.

Early Achievers Grant


Early Achievers Grant (EAG) serves eligible students who are currently employed in an actively-participating Early Achievers child care facility. EAOG provides 52 credits of college tuition toward ECE training and up to $1,000 per year toward the cost of books along with wrap-around student support services.

Innovations in Creating Access to Careers in Healthcare


Innovations in Creating Access to Careers in Healthcare (I-CATCH) is healthcare training support for individuals aiming to achieve income independence through well paying and high demand careers in the healthcare industry.

Other Financial Assistance Programs

Tuition Payment Plan

The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to make a partial tuition payment prior to the start of the quarter, and defer their remaining tuition balance until approximately one month into the quarter. Students must make a 40% down payment of their tuition and are assessed a $30.00 processing fee. For more information contact: Mount Vernon Financial Aid Office at 360.416.7666 or Whidbey Island Financial Aid Office at 360.679.5320.

Cardinal Complete


The Cardinal Complete Program offers funding and scholarship support to cover the cost of tuition and fees for students who are within 15 credits of completion of an eligible degree or certificate program. In addition to being within 15 quarters of completion, a student must not owe a debt to SVC or be on Financial Aid Suspension to qualify.  Awards are based on funding levels. For more information, please contact

Student Emergency Assistance

The Student Emergency Assistance Fund was established to provide assistance to students at risk of not continuing their education due to unexpected financial dilemmas. The fund is only allocated for sudden, urgent, or unforeseen occurrences that require immediate attention and would impact the student’s ability to stay in College and complete their educational goal. Students must demonstrate “emergency” financial need.

Types of emergency awards include:

  • Transportation (limited to $150 annually)
  • Food assistance (limited to $200 annually)
  • Eviction and utility shut off notices (case by case)
  • Emergency housing-including sudden homelessness or job loss
  • Unexpected medical bills
  • Stolen educational items

For more information contact:

Childcare Assistance

The Childcare Assistance fund can assist you with the cost of out-of-pocket dependent care expenses for dependents residing with you during the academic year for care incurred as a result of attending classes at Skagit Valley College (i.e. during periods that include but are not limited to class time, study time, fieldwork, internships, and commuting time to and from SVC).. Dependents can include: any children for whom you are the legal guardian, step children or siblings who reside in your household whom you are responsible for caring for. Childcare providers must be licensed by the Washington State Department of Early Learning. Do not include children over the age of 12. Must meet income guidelines to qualify.

For more information contact:

Waivers & Discounts

Waivers or other programs may be available to certain unemployed, underemployed or dislocated workers. For more information, call 360.416.7649.


College athletes carrying 12 or more credits may be eligible for a 25% athletic waiver. The athletic department must approve eligible students.

State Employees

Half-time or more, permanent state employees may take courses per quarter (up to 6 credits) on a space-available basis (or in classes still open on the first day of the quarter) for a reduced fee (restrictions apply).


See Veterans Tuition Assistance.

Families of Fallen Veterans and National Guard Members

See Veterans Tuition Assistance.

Unemployed or Under-Employed Residents

Unemployed or under-employed people may register for classes on a space-available basis without tuition charges. Fees attached to coursework will be charged accordingly. You are eligible if you:

  • Have lived in Washington for at least 12 months.
  • Are 21 years of age or more.
  • Have not attended college in the past six months.
  • Are not receiving or eligible for unemployment compensation.
  • Have a combined monthly household income of below $1,254 for a one-member family, $1,587 for two, $1,959 for three, $2,312 for four, $2,644 for five (call for amount for additional dependents).
  • Have been or will be unemployed for six months prior to the start of the quarter.