Feb 04, 2023  
2016-2017 Catalog SVC 
2016-2017 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

How Do I Become A Student?


Skagit Valley College admits students on a first come, first served basis. If you are a high school graduate and you apply to the college, you are eligible for admission. If you are not a high school graduate, and you are 18 years of age or older, you may be admitted if:

  1. Your high school class has graduated; OR
  2. Your high school district has released you; OR
  3. You have successfully completed the General Educational Development (GED®) test.

If you are under the age of 18 and a high school junior or senior, you may apply to be conditionally admitted. Students who seek to be conditionally admitted must receive permission to enroll from the high school district in which you reside and the Skagit Valley College Vice President of Student Services.

Students are admitted to SVC in the order applications are received. During registration, if a course fills, students who could not enroll in the course are placed on a wait list. As vacancies occur, students on the wait list will be admitted in the order in which they appear on the wait list.

Running Start

High school juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher are eligible for Running Start. To become a Running Start student, talk with your high school counselor or contact the Counseling Office at Skagit Valley College. You must submit an admissions application, a current high school transcript, and students who plan to enroll in math or English composition must complete an assessment. A signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form is required at the time you register.

College in the High School

“College in the High School” is a dual credit program located on a high school campus or in a high school environment in which a high school student is able to earn both high school and postsecondary credit by completing postsecondary level courses with a passing grade. College in the High School programs may include both academic courses, and career and technical education.

College in the High School (CHS) programs provide college-level academic courses to 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students. Courses are taught at the high school, by high school teachers, with college curriculum, college textbooks, and oversight by college faculty and staff. Students pay tuition High school students should check with their school counselor or faculty about courses available at their high school; class availability varies.

How to Apply

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7700
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5319
South Whidbey: 360.341.2324
San Juan: 360.378.3220

Submit a Skagit Valley College Application, available from the Enrollment Serivces’ Office or apply online through the SVC website. Learn more about your steps to becoming a Cardinal here: www.skagit.edu/getstarted.

How to Apply as a Drop-in Student

If you would like to attend SVC but are not seeking a degree or certificate, you may register as a “drop-in” student. Go to www.skagit.edu/getstarted for more information and current registration dates. The SVC Quarterly Schedule is available online at www.skagit.edu/schedules. Students who plan to enroll in math or English composition, or 10 credits or more, must complete an assessment or provide transcripts.

If You Are Military Personnel

SVC is a Service members Opportunity College. Selected programs of study are approved by Washington’s State Approving Agency for enrollment of those eligible for benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, U.S. Code. As a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) program, SVC grants credit for military schools and training using the American Council on Education and the SOC program. A maximum of 67 credits for non-traditional learning may be granted toward the Associate in Arts General Studies SOC Degree.

A SOC applicant must take a minimum of 12 credits at SVC. The total number of credits required is 90.

For the Associate in Arts University and College Transfer Degree, a maximum of 14 non-traditional credits may be applied to the elective requirements. In some circumstances, minimum resident credit requirements may be waived for active duty military personnel under this program.

If You Are a Veteran

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7610
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5389

If you are a veteran, or a dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for educational benefits. To apply for your VA educational benefit, contact the Veterans’ Education Office at Skagit Valley College and complete the online application at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. You are required to apply for admission to Skagit Valley College and verify enrollment with the Veterans’ Education Office at SVC. If you have earned credits at other colleges, you must furnish official transcripts during the first quarter of enrollment.

Skagit Valley College participates in the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31), the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), and the Fry Scholarship. For students eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Fry Scholarship, tuition will be paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs once the student certifies enrollment with the SVC Veterans’ Education Office. For more information about GI Bill benefits and eligibility contact any SVC’s Veterans Education Office.

The Veterans’ Education Office at Skagit Valley College will ensure that the classes you register for are necessary to achieve your degree or certificate. Any changes in your class schedule must be reported immediately to the Veterans’ Education Office at SVC. Benefits may be adversely affected or even terminated if it is discovered that you failed to attend classes, withdraw after the drop period, or take courses not necessary to your stated educational objective. It is your responsibility to report any changes, drops, adds, or withdrawals to the Veterans’ Education Office.

Skagit Valley College expects all students to make satisfactory progress in accordance with established college scholastic standards. Student Work Study positions may be available in the Veteran’s Education Offices on the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses as well as in the local communities for veterans attending school. For more information, contact the Veterans’ Education Office.

Veterans Eligibility for Resident Rate Tuition

ESSB 5355 modified the definition of resident student to comply with federal requirements established by the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act). The Choice Act requires states to charge in-state tuition and fees to “covered individuals” training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and the Montgomery GI Bill®.
A “covered individual” is defined in the Choice Act as:

  • A Veteran who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from active duty.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Individuals who initially meet the requirements above will maintain “covered individual” status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at SVC even if they are outside the 3-year window or enroll in multiple programs. Continuity of enrollment is not broken by holiday vacations; vacation periods; periods during the school year between quarters or by non-enrollment in summer quarter.

It is not necessary for the student to take steps to establish Washington as their permanent domicile although they may want to do so if they plan to stay in Washington, especially if they plan to attend college after they exhaust their benefits.

Veterans Tuition Waiver

A veteran who was honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces may be eligible for a 20% tuition waiver if the student meets all of the following requirements.

  • Can qualify as a WA resident at the time of enrollment per RCW 28B.15.012.
  • While serving as an active or reserve member in the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard, the veteran served in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil, or international waters, or in another location in support of U.S. Armed Forces that were on foreign soil or international waters.
  • That service is recorded on the veterans DD214 or other official documents.
Please contact the Veterans’ Education Office to determine eligibility.
Mount Vernon Campus:
Whidbey Island Campus:

Tuition Waivers for Families of Fallen Veterans and National Guard Members

Skagit Valley College will waive all tuition and certain fees for the children, adopted children or stepchildren, and spouses of eligible veterans or National Guard members, who died while on active duty, are permanently and totally disabled because of service connected injury or illness, are missing in action, are prisoners of war or who are rated by the Veteran’s Administration as 100% disabled. “To be eligible a child must be a Washington domiciliary between 17 and 26 and the child of a Washington State domiciliary. A surviving spouse, to be eligible must be a Washington domiciliary, and it must have been ten years or less since the loss. In addition, the spouse must not have remarried. Each recipient’s continued eligibility is subject to the school’s satisfactory progress policy.”

Total credits earned using this waiver may not exceed two hundred quarter credits, or equivalent of semester credits. The two hundred quarter credit limit applies to all combined credits earned via this waiver at state of Washington colleges & universities.

Note: An “eligible veteran or national guard member” means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the U.S. military in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.

International Students


The International Programs Office provides services to international students attending Skagit Valley College.

If you choose to study at Skagit Valley College, you are sure to have the opportunity to receive an excellent education. You will find many qualities that may meet your needs: a family-like atmosphere where everyone is welcome, an appreciation of diversity and a desire to enrich the education we provide with a global perspective.

Students from throughout the world choose Skagit Valley College for many reasons including:

  • “Ranked in the top 30 community colleges in the USA.”-Washington Monthly Magazine, August 2007 & 2010.
  • Safer, smaller town environment - Mount Vernon was named “Best Small Town in America”
  • Family-like atmosphere
  • Named #1 in nation for use of technology among small community colleges
  • No TOEFL test is required for admission
  • Dynamic Conversation Partner Program
  • Peer Mentor Program
  • Small classes, personal attention 20:1 (student:faculty ratio)
  • One-to-one attention through an international student office with staff members to help you with all your needs
  • Excellent transfer record to 4-year institutions
  • Advance levels that prepare you for college-level and university work
  • Homestay coordinator to oversee the homestay program
  • Convenient on-campus student housing (dormitories)
  • Resident assistants and a manager to help you with your dormitory life
  • Access to personal academic and transfer advisors
  • English tutoring services through the Tutoring Center
  • Excellent technical programs for career training (25 total)
  • Active clubs & student organizations (24 total)
  • Close to Seattle and Vancouver, Canada
  • Conveniently located to year-round recreation (skiing, hiking, scuba diving, golfing and kayaking)
  • Public transportation and airport pickup

English Language Requirements

International students may apply with or without TOEFL scores.

Applicants without TOEFL Scores

Strong skills in English help ensure success in other classes. Students without TOEFL scores will be given a placement test before registering for classes. Students whose test results show skills adequate for college work will be excused from Academic English as a Second Language (AESL). Others will be required to take AESL classes until the language requirement has been met.

Applicants with TOEFL Scores

  • TOEFL scores below IBT 45, CBT 133, or PBT 450: Students will be required to take Intensive English courses until they are adequately prepared for Advanced Levels. Students at Advanced Levels are considered matriculated college students. Classes at Advanced Levels consist of two AESL courses and three academic courses.
  • TOEFL scores IBT 45-52, CBT 133-150, or PBT 450-473: Students will be accepted into Advanced Levels, which are a combination of AESL and college-level classes.
  • TOEFL scores IBT 53-60, CBT 153-170, or PBT 477-497: Students will be accepted into Advanced Plus Level, which is a combination of AESL and college-level classes.
  • TOEFL scores IBT 61, CBT 173, or PBT 500 and above: Students will be allowed to take regular courses without AESL support.
  • Skagit Valley College provides the language instruction and personal assistance you need to be successful in your studies.

Transfer Credits

Many students receive transfer credits from their previous institutions which are located overseas. In some cases, students have received between 50 and 60 transfer credits. Students who are interested in applying for transfer credits should request a transcript evaluation form as soon as possible.

Application Process

All documents should be written in English or accompanied by an official English translation. Original documents are required with all applications. It is your responsibility to make copies before submitting. We will not make copies for you. An admission decision will be made after all documents are evaluated.

  • Complete international student application for admission.
  • Submit official bank statement showing at least $17,929* and complete Certificate of Financial Responsibility (sponsor letter), located on the back of the application.
  • Submit official transcripts from high school and any previous colleges, including any ESL training.
  • Include a recommendation letter from someone (not a family member) who can comment on your character and potential for success in an academic setting.
  • If applicable, include a TOEFL score.** The SVC code for your TOEFL score is 4699.
  • $25 (U.S.) application fee.
*Tuition is subject to a 3%-5% annual increase and is based on taking 15 credits per quarter which is the minimum requirement for international students. (Please see website www.skagit.edu/international for current rates).
**This will not be necessary for students who wish to take advantage of our “No TOEFL” policy.

In addition to the above application process, international students attending college in the U.S. and who plan to transfer to Skagit Valley College should also submit:

  1. Copy of I-94
  2. Copy of all previous I-20s issued.
  3. Transfer student information sheet completed by your current International Student Advisor
  4. Copy of passport pages that contain photograph and VISA information.

For more information
Tel: 360.416.7734 | Fax: 360.416.7868
E-mail: internationaladmissions@skagit.edu
Web: www.skagit.edu/international