Jun 24, 2024  
2016-2017 Catalog SVC 
2016-2017 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Financial Aid

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7666
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5320
SVC-Toll Free: 1.877.385.5360

As a student at Skagit Valley College, financial aid in the form of grants, loans, and employment may be available to assist with educational expenses. Financial aid is given according to policies set by the US Department of Education, the state of Washington, and Skagit Valley College. To determine your financial need, you must first complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov or if you are an undocumented student, the Washington Application for Student Financial Aid (WASFA) application at www.readysetgrad.org. Please visit the Financial Aid Office for assistance with completing the applications. Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served, relative need basis subject to availability of funds. You must meet eligibility requirements and provide all required documents to the Financial Aid Office.

Eligibility Determinations

The information provided on the FAFSA/WASFA will allow the processor to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC will then be subtracted from the budgeted “cost of attendance” to determine your financial need. Financial aid is awarded based on unmet financial need. After the FAFSA/WASFA is processed, additional information will be requested of you to verify the information provided and to assist in an equitable distribution of available funds . Students who have not been awarded financial aid are still responsible for the payment of their tuition and fees.

Financial Aid Refund and Repayment Policy

Financial aid students are subject to the Federal Title IV, State, and institutional refund and repayment policies. It is the responsibility of the financial aid recipient to carefully review these policies to determine the ramifications of withdrawing or ceasing attendance. Refund and repayment policies are outlined in the Conditions of Award, available on the SVC Financial Aid website. Sample calculations are available upon request. Financial Aid students who officially or unofficially withdraw from all classes may owe a repayment of federal, state, and/or institutional aid.

Net Price Calculator

SVC has provided a tool for you to determine the cost of your education including the impact of any financial aid award you will be receiving. While all efforts are made to ensure the accuracy of the calculator, every student’s situation is different so students are advised to do their own calculations as well. The calculator can be found on the college website at www.skagit.edu/netpricecalculator.

Other Information

Federal regulations require that students must have obtained a high school diploma or GED® or have demonstrated an ability to benefit in an adult learning environment (as defined by the US Department of Education) in order to be eligible for federally-funded financial aid. If you receive financial aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP), in accordance with the SAP policy, which is available on the SVC Financial Aid website


Federal PELL Grant

A federal grant program, based on significant financial need, for students enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program. Eligibility is established by completing the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

A federal grant program for students with exceptional financial need, who are enrolled at least half-time (6+ credits). Preference is given to students receiving Pell Grants.

State Need Grant

An income-based state grant program for low-income state residents based on family size and income. State Need Grant is dependent on limited state funding, and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to students who are in the College Bound Scholarship program. Eligibility is established by completing the FAFSA or WASFA. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 aid-eligible credits.

College Bound Scholarship (CBS)

The College Bound Scholarship program provides financial assistance to low-income students who want to achieve the dream of a college education. Students who enrolled in the CBS program in 7th or 8th grade, completed high school with a 2.0 GPA or higher, and meet all other SVC financial aid requirements will be eligible for the maximum award amount each year. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 aid-eligible credits.

Washington State Tuition Waiver

State tuition waivers may be awarded to state residents with demonstrated financial need, to assist with tuition payment.

SVC Grants

An institutional grant awarded to students with demonstrated financial need, to assist with direct and indirect costs associated with their cost of attendance, as determined by SVC. Students must meet residency requirements to qualify.


Federal, State, and Institutional Work-Study

Work-Study programs offer part-time on-campus work for students with demonstrated financial need. If eligible, you may work up to 19 hours per week and choose from a variety of jobs that offer valuable career-related experience. Work-Study allows you to earn an hourly wage for work. Paychecks are issued twice a month. Placements are not guaranteed. Program eligibility is available to students enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits per quarter) who meet all other eligibility requirements. Funds available are based on limited annual federal funding. Jobs are posted online. To search for a work study position, you should visit the SVC website under Academic Support, then Counseling and Career Center, then CCC-Online Job Board.


Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans

Federal Direct Loans are long-term, low interest/fee loans available through the school and the U.S. Department of Education. Interest rates/fees change July 1 each year. Current interest rates and fees are updated on the SVC Financial Aid website. A FAFSA is required in order to determine eligibility and receive Direct Loans. Students must be pursuing an aid-eligible degree or certificate. First time borrowers will have their funds delayed until 30 days into the first quarter.

  • A separate application is required by SVC in order to receive Direct Loans. The application is available on the Financial Aid website and should be completed once the student has received their award notification and determines additional funding may be needed.
Direct Subsidized Loans

The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on Direct Subsidized Loans while you are enrolled at least half-time and for the first six months after you leave school. Subsidized Loans are available to students.

Students are eligible to receive Subsidized Loans for 150% of their degree/certificate length. If the maximum timeframe is exceeded, loss of interest subsidy will occur. See ‘Federal Direct Loans-Getting-Started’ under the Financial Aid portion of our website for more details.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans* (see table below)

Unsubsidized Loans do not require demonstrated financial need and begin accruing interest upon first disbursement. Students are responsible for paying the interest on Direct Unsubsidized Loans. If students choose not to pay the interest while attending school and during the grace period, interest will accrue and be added to the principal amount of the loan.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans

Federal Direct Parent PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) Loans are not based on need, however the student must complete the FAFSA and all other requested documents. PLUS loans are obtained by parents of dependent students to help meet their educational costs. The interest rate/fees for this loan changes July 1 each year and interest is not deferred. Current interest rates and fees are updated on the SVC Financial Aid website.


The SVC scholarship application process for the following school year, begins in mid-January; the application deadline is late March. Scholarship recipients are announced at the Honors Reception held in May. Other scholarships may be available throughout the year. The scholarship list on the SVC Financial Aid website is updated frequently and application deadlines will vary.

*Borrower Limits
Year Dependent Students Independent Students
Annual Loan Limit (0-45 credits) $5,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $9,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Annual Loan Limit (46-90 credits) $6,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $10,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Annual Loan Limit (90+ credits) $7,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $12,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.

Multicultural Student Services Scholarships

Assists traditionally under-represented students to achieve academic success through counseling and programming activities and supports the maintenance of a welcoming, safe and constructive environment for all students. Contact the Multicultural Student Services Office for details.

Women’s Programs Scholarships

SVC Women’s Programs offers emergency financial assistance to students in the form of scholarships as funds are available.


Waivers or other programs may be available to certain unemployed, underemployed or dislocated workers. For more information, call 360.416.7649.


College athletes carrying 12 or more credits may be eligible for a 25% athletic waiver. The athletic department must approve eligible students.

State Employees

Half-time or more, permanent state employees may take courses per quarter (up to 6 credits) on a space-available basis (or in classes still open on the first day of the quarter) for a reduced fee (restrictions apply).


All of Skagit Valley College’s academic programs of study are approved by the Veteran’s Administration for enrollment of persons eligible to receive educational benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.

Selected programs of study at Skagit Valley College are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.

Certain veterans may be eligible for tuition discounts. A veteran who was honorably discharged from the United States military/naval forces may be eligible for a 20% tuition waiver if the veteran meets all of the following requirements:

  • Can qualify as a WA resident at the time of enrollment per RCW 28B.15.012.
  • While serving as an active or reserve member in the U.S. military/naval forces or National Guard, the veteran served in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil, or in international waters, or in another location in support of U.S. military/naval forces that were on foreign soil or in international waters. Service is recorded on the veteran’s DD-214 or other official military/naval document.

Skagit Valley College does not and will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollment or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admissions activities or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.

Families of Fallen Veterans and National Guard Members

Skagit Valley College will waive all tuition and certain fees for the children, adopted children or stepchildren, and spouses of eligible veterans or National Guard members, who died while on active duty, are permanently and totally disabled because of service connected injury or illness, are missing in action, are prisoners of war or who are rated by the Veteran’s Administration as 100% disabled. “To be eligible a child must be a Washington domiciliary between 17 and 26 and the child of a Washington State domiciliary. A surviving spouse, to be eligible must be a Washington domiciliary, it must have been 10 years or less since the loss, and must not have remarried. Each recipient’s continued eligibility is subject to the school’s satisfactory progress policy.”

Total credits earned using this waiver may not exceed two hundred quarter credits, or equivalent of semester credits. The two hundred quarter credit limit applies to all combined credits earned via this waiver at state of Washington colleges & universities.

Unemployed or Under-Employed Residents

Unemployed or under-employed people may register for classes on a space-available basis without tuition charges. Fees attached to coursework will be charged accordingly. You are eligible if you:

  • Have lived in Washington for at least 12 months.
  • Are 21 years of age or more.
  • Have not attended college in the past six months.
  • Are not receiving or eligible for unemployment compensation.
  • Have a combined monthly household income of below $1,254 for a one-member family, $1,587 for two, $1,959 for three, $2,312 for four, $2,644 for five (call for amount for additional dependents).
  • Have been or will be unemployed for six months prior to the start of the quarter.


BFET (Basic Food Employment Training)

BFET assists basic food recipients who have been assessed as needing basic education, high school, GED/ABE, ESL and vocational training in order to increase their opportunities for employment. Eligibility requirements include: receiving or eligible for food assistance; U.S. citizen or permanent resident and completing a FAFSA application by the end of the first quarter enrolled as a BFET student. Applications are available in the Mount Vernon Workforce Grants office located in Lewis Hall room 116, for more information please call 360.416.7971.

Opportunity Grant Scholarships

Eligible students may advance in one of these high-demand career fields: Allied Health • Nursing • Automotive Technology • Manufacturing • Business Management • Office and Accounting Technologies • Early Childhood Education • Welding

Eligibility requirements include enrollment in one of the listed pathways; have lived in Washington State for at least 12 months; eligibility to work in the U.S.; and family income at or below 200% of the federal poverty level. Applications are available in the Mount Vernon Workforce Grants office located in Lewis Hall room 116; for more information please call 360.416.7971

Tuition Payment Plan

The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to make payments on their tuition over the course of a quarter. Students must make a down payment of 40% of their tuition and a $30.00 processing fee. For more information contact: Mount Vernon Financial Aid Office at 360.416.7666 or Whidbey Island Campus Financial Aid Office at 360.679.5320


WorkFirst financial aid is designed to help income eligible parents train for a specific career through professional/technical training, complete GED, gain skills, and move into high wage jobs. Students must currently be receiving the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant and obtain a referral from their DSHS case manager. Applications are available in the Mount Vernon Workforce Grants office located in Lewis Hall room 116, for more information please call 360.416.7971.

Worker Retraining

This program provides tuition and book assistance for job related training and provides job development services if you are: facing imminent layoff or have been laid off;receiving unemployment benefits; or unemployed and without unemployment benefits due to exhausting them within the past two years. Application are available in the Mount Vernon Workforce Grants office located in Lewis Hall room 116, for more information please contact 360.416.7649.