Jul 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog SVC 
2023-2024 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Financial Aid and Funding


For academic purposes and certification for various benefits (insurance, student loans and financial aid, social security, tax credits, etc.), full-time status is defined as 12 or more credits. The tuition schedule, special fees and other class fees are listed in this catalog, on the website, or you can call one of the following numbers for more information:

  • 360.416.7600 (Mount Vernon)
  • 360.679.5330 (Whidbey Island)
  • 360.378.3220 (San Juan)
Lower Division Tuition Table

Courses below 300-level; does not apply to CCB , ELA , or HSC  courses

No. of Credits Washington Resident Non-State Resident Non-US Resident
$232.10 $396.46 $648.24
$348.15 $594.69 $972.36
$464.20 $792.92 $1,296.48
$580.25 $991.15 $1,620.60
$1,189.38 $1,944.72
$812.35 $1,387.61 $2,268.84
$928.40 $1,585.84 $2,592.96
$1,044.45 $1,779.07 $2,912.08
$1,160.50 $1,972.30 $3,231.20
$1,217.96 $2,136.60 $3,314.62
$2,300.90 $3,398.04
$1,332.88 $2,465.20 $3,481.46
$1,390.34 $2,629.50 $3,564.88
$1,447.80 $2,793.80 $3,648.30
$1,505.26 $2,952.60 $3,732.22
$1,562.72 $3,111.40 $3,804.14
$3,270.20 $3,882.06

Note: Tuition rates are subject to change in Fall Quarter 2021, please check the SVC website for updates.

Upper Division Tuition Table

300- and 400-level courses

No. of Credits Washington Resident Non-State Resident Non-US Resident
1 $226.53 $365.65 $662.35
2 $453.06 $731.30 $1,324.70
3 $679.59 $1,096.95 $1,987.05
4 $906.12 $1,462.60 $2,649.40
5 $1,132.65 $1,828.25 $3,311.75
6 $1,359.18 $2,193.90 $3,974.10
7 $1,585.71 $2,559.55 $4,636.45
8 $1,812.24 $2,925.20 $5,298.80
9 $2,038.77 $3,285.85 $5,956.15
10 $2,265.30 $3,646.50 $6,613.50
11 $2,276.60 $3,978.22 $6,644.10
12 $2,287.90 $4,309.94 $6,674.70
13 $2,299.20 $4,641.66 $6,705.30
14 $2,310.50 $4,973.38 $6,735.90
15 $2,321.80 $5,305.10 $6,766.50
16 $2,333.10 $5,631.32 $6,791.60
17 $2,344.40 $5,957.54 $6,816.70
18 $2,355.70 $6,283.76 $6,841.80

Note: Tuition rates are subject to change in Fall Quarter 2021, please check the SVC website for updates.


Subject to change by the Washington State Legislature and/or the Skagit Valley College Board of Trustees.

Additional Fees
CCB-ELA-HSC21 Fee $25.00 per person per quarter
Student Fees
Expedited Enrollment Verification $15 per request
Student Technology Fee $5.00 per credit ($40.00 maximum)
General Use Fee $5.50 per credit ($82.50 maximum)
Universal Technology Fee $15 per credit
Student Building Fee $1.50 per credit ($15 maximum)
Student Self-Assessed Fee $1.50 per credit ($15 maximum)
State Classified Employees $20.00
Expedited Transcript $25 per transcript
Enrollment Services Digital Transcript $3.00
Student ID Card Replacement $10.00
Replacement Diploma $10.00
Class Fees (per quarter)
AHE 105, 110, 200
AHE 107, 114, 221
AHE 106, 133,135
AHE 101
AHE 132, 134, 201, 203
AHE 108, 113, 115, 120, 221, 222, 230
AHE 117
AHE 202 $35
Allied Health and Nurse Name Tag Replacement
ART(&) 101, 102, 107, 111, 112, 181, 182, 201, 202, 241S, 242, 242S, 251, 253
AT 101, 201
AT 206
AT 121, 131, 210, 215
AT 107, 124, 133, 212, 215, 220, 225
AT 141
ENVC 302
CHEM 301, ENVC 304, 310, 315, 320, 327, 405, 407, 410, 412, 420, 422, 424
BASM 324, HCM 327 $10
BASM 332, HCM 339, PSYC 412
BASM 301, 332, 334
BASM 410 $20
PHIL 440, 446 $20
All courses with lab components, except BIOL 150 and BIOL& 260 $65
Marine Biology (BIOL 205) Summer Field Study Course Fee
BIOL 150 $100
BIOL 270, 271 $1500
CMPST 121, 123, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 220
CIS 146, 147


CS Courses (per course) $20
BRW 101, 103, 105, 120, 135
BRW 160
BRW 161
BRW 198
CJ 215
CUL 123 $130
CUL 298
CUL 165, 171, 185, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242
DATA 130, 199, 230
DATA 120
DATA 101, 105, 110, 215, 225, 245
DEN 110, 112, 114
Desert Odyssey Learning Community
DSL 102, 103 104, 202, 203, 204
101, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 151, 152, 153, 154, 230, 235
ECED& 105, 160, 190
EDUC& 122


ENGR& 114, ENGR 216 $100
ART(&) 100, 142, 143, 144, 160
DRMA(&) 101, 236, 237, 238
ENGL(&) 99, 101, 102, 103, 112, 113, 115, 120, 152, 202, 220, 233, 250, 254, 283, 299, 324
HIST& 146, 147, 148, 214, 242
MUSC(&) 105, 127, 128, 129
PHIL(&) 101,115
POLS& 101,102
PSYC& 100
SOSC 100
Course Fee: Intro to Environmental Science (ENVS& 101) Summer Field Study
ENVC 225
ENVC 101, 102, 106, 112, 122, 123, 130, 140, 165, 201, 202, 210, 211, 212, 220, 221, 222, 231, 232, 244, 249
FIRE 120
FIRE 121, 122
FIRE 126
FIRE 130
FIRE 140
FIRE 160
FIRE 240
FIRE 242
FIRE 243 $270
FIRE 246
FIRE 247, 248
AHE 199, AT 199, BUS 199, CUL 199, DTA 199, DSL 199, ECED& 120, ENVC 199, FIRE 199, HSERV 199, MANF 199, MT 199, MIT 199, WT 199
GIS 101, 102, 107, 202, 203


HSERV 198, 203, 232, 245 $10


MANF 102, 110, 121, 140, 145, 150, 156
MANF 103, 122, 125, 177, 210, 215, 250, 256
MANF 114, 120
MANF 115, 132, 137, 190, 205, 227, 277
MANF 148, 149 $125
MANF 218 $5
MANF 242, 247, 278 $150
MANF 262, 267, 279 $200
MT 105, 132, 133, 136, 160, 161, 204, 270
MT 216, 236, 240
Math Lab Course Fee
MIT 205
MUSC(&) 105, 127, 128, 129
Music Lab Fees:
MUSC(&) 108, 111, 112, 113, 121, 122, 123, 137, 138, 141, 142, 143, 144, 160, 211, 212, 221, 222, 223, 241, 242, 243 
Music Lesson Fees:
MUSC 174, 181, 274, 281


Natural Science Field Study Course Fee BIOL 270/272; NASC 160, 161
NURS 102 $95
NURS 285, 288, 298
NURS 173, 273
NURS 276, 279
NURS 171, 181, 191, 271, 281
NURS 182, 192, 282
NURS 183 $300
NURS 272 $170
NURS 291
NURS 292 $60
NURS 294
Allied Health and Nurse Name Tag Replacement
Nursing Medical Malpractice Insurance and General Liability Insurance (combined) (per year): NURS 102, 171, 275, 281, 294

Medical Malpractice Insurance and General Liability Insurance (per year): AHE 116, 130, 136; DEN 105, FIRE 243, NURS 102, 171, 275, 281, 294


Nutrition Lab fee
OBT 122, 162


PRLEA 241 $1750
PE all except PE 114, 200
PE 105, 106, 107, 167
PE 114 $23
PE 200
BIOL& 260
EASC 102, ENVS& 101, OCEA& 101 (Distance Education)
BIOL&, ENVS&, and NASC lab courses
ASTR&, EASC&, CHEM&, GEOL& PHYS& Lab courses
Professional Liability (Non-Medical) Insurance (per year) AHE, AT, BFET, BUS, CUL, DATA, DSL, EDUC, ENVC, FIRE, GIS, HSERV, MANF, MT, MIT,  WT, any 199 course
Whidbey Island Campus
WT 111, 112, 113, 114, 116, 117
WT 131, 133, 231, 234
WT 200, 211, 212, 213, 221, 222, 223
Non-disabled                                                                         $5.00
Parking Fines
General $10
Carpool Parking without permit $20
If parked in handicapped without permit $75
If parked in fire lanes $50
Credit by exam (per credit). Tuition costs must be paid in addition to the $2/credit $2
GED® $150
Writing and other Retests $30
GED® Transcript $4
Prior Learning Credit (per credit) $60
Prior Learning Assessment $250/flat fee
Non-SVC proctored private tests $35 for 1st hr. & $20 ea additional hr.

State Support of Higher Education Students

The average cost to educate a resident full-time community or technical college student for the 2022-23 academic year is $15,023. Students pay an average of $3,527 in tuition toward this cost. The remaining $11,496 is an “opportunity pathway” provided by the State and is funded by state taxes and other sources. The amounts shown are averages for a full-time, resident student. The actual tuition a student pays will vary due to credit load, residency status, and other factors.

Pursuant to RCW 28B.15.0681 the sources of all institutional revenue received during the prior academic year and the uses of tuition revenue collected during the prior academic year can be found here.

Net Price Calculator

SVC has provided a tool intended to assist you in determining the estimated net price of your education. The net price is calculated as estimated cost of attendance (tuition and required fees, books and supplies, room and board (meals), and other approved related expenses) minus estimated grant and scholarship aid. All figures provided by the calculator are estimates and are subject to change. While all efforts are made to ensure the accuracy of the calculator, every student’s situation is different, so students are encouraged to do their own calculations as well. The calculator can be found on the college website at www.skagit.edu/netpricecalculator.

Basic Education

Tuition for the program is $25 per quarter.Students may qualify for a tuition waiver based on income. Students who want to improve English language skills, complete a HS21+ Adult High School Diploma or GED®, or improve academic math, reading, and writing skills to prepare for college-level course work may be eligible for Basic Education classes. To enroll in English Language Acquisition (ELA), High School Completion (HSC), or College and Career Bridge (CCB), students must complete a registration form for an orientation class (ELA 010 or CCB 010). During the orientation, students will be assessed and placed in the appropriate classes. For more information or assistance, call 360-416-7640 or visit Lewis Hall room 127 on the Mount Vernon Campus.

Penalties for Non-Payment

Tuition and fees are the student’s responsibility. Failure to attend a class does not constitute a course drop/withdrawal. Students who do not officially withdraw will be assessed full tuition and fees, and refunds will not be made. Requests for late drops will not be granted simply because the student was unaware of the policies, or failed to submit a drop form.

In the event of non-payment, the college may pursue the collection of amounts due as allowed by law, and will add collection costs to the amount due. Unpaid accounts may be sent to an outside collection agency and may be reported to one or more credit bureau reporting services. Collection agency fees of up to 50% will be assessed on the unpaid balance of an account, after internal collection efforts have failed to result in full payment. Students are responsible for paying all collection fees assessed. In the event of a disagreement about payments due, you may request an informal hearing with the Vice President of Student Services.

Refund Policy

Information on the Refund Policy can be found in Policies & Regulations .

Veterans/Military-Affiliated Tuition Funding

Skagit Valley College offers a variety of Veterans’ Education resources and services, including, but not limited to the administration of education benefits and tuition assistance. For more information on these services, please see the Veterans’ Education Services section located in the Student Services section of the catalog.

Eligibility for Resident Rate Tuition

ESSB 5355 modified the definition of resident student to comply with federal requirements established by the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act). The Choice Act requires states to charge in-state tuition and fees to “covered individuals” training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and the Montgomery GI Bill®.

A “covered individual” is defined in the Choice Act as:
  • A Veteran who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from active duty.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Veteran students utilizing Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits (Effective March 1, 2019).

Individuals who initially meet the requirements above will maintain “covered individual” status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at SVC even if they are outside the 3-year window or enroll in multiple programs. Continuity of enrollment is not broken by holiday vacations, vacation periods, periods during the school year between quarters, or by non-enrollment in summer quarter.

It is not necessary for the student to take steps to establish Washington as their permanent domicile although they may want to do so if they plan to stay in Washington, especially if they plan to attend college after they exhaust their benefits.

Effective August 1, 2021, veteran students utilizing VA Educational Benefits to pay for at least one class qualify for resident tuition. These benefits include:

  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John Fry Scholarship
  • Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

Additionally, veteran dependents (spouses and children) actively using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® who live in Washington also qualify for resident tuition, regardless of domicile or how long they have lived in Washington.

Note: This does not meet definitions of a “resident student” as defined in RCW 28B.15.012(2), to meet eligibility for state aid.

Veterans Benefits and Transaction Act of 2018 VA Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment
  • Assess a late penalty fee to
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution
However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:
  • Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class
  • Provide written request to be certified
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies
In addition:
  • Skagit Valley College complies with the Department of Veterans Affairs 85/15 rule for benefit enrollment purposes
  • Selected programs of study at Skagit Valley College are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC

The Veterans Education Offices at Skagit Valley College require the following documents from students who will be using Veterans Education Benefits:

  • Proof of Eligibility (up-to-date Award letter, Certificate of Eligibility, other Eligibility Document)
Veterans Tuition Discount

A veteran who was honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces may be eligible for a 20% tuition waiver.

The veteran must meet ONE of the following criteria:

  • While serving as an active or reserve member in the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard, the veteran served in a war, conflict fought on foreign soil, international waters, or in another location in support of U.S. Armed Forces that were on foreign soil or international waters


  • The veteran served in an Active Duty component of the U.S. Armed Forces, but did not serve in a war, conflict fought on foreign soil, international waters, or in another location in support of the U.S. Armed Forces that were on foreign soil or international waters.

And must meet BOTH of the following criteria:

  • A Washington Domiciliary
  • Qualifying services is recorded on the veteran’s DD214 or other official documents
Tuition Waivers for Families of Fallen or 100% Disabled Veterans and National Guard Members

Skagit Valley College will waive all tuition and certain fees for the children, adopted children or stepchildren, and spouses of eligible veterans or National Guard members, who died while on active duty, are permanently and totally disabled because of service connected injury or illness, are missing in action, are prisoners of war, or who are rated by the Veteran’s Administration as 100% disabled.

To be eligible, a child must be between the age of 17 and 26 and the child of a Washington State domiciliary. A surviving spouse must be a Washington domiciliary, and it must have been ten years or less since the loss. In addition, the spouse must not have remarried. Each recipient’s continued eligibility is subject to the school’s satisfactory progress policy.

Total credits earned using this waiver may not exceed two hundred quarter credits, or the equivalent semester credits. The 250 quarter credit limit applies to all combined credits earned via this waiver at state of Washington colleges and universities.

Note: An “eligible veteran or national guard member” means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the U.S. military in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.
Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

Tuition Assistance (TA) offers financial support for eligible active duty military personnel, to assist with the cost of tuition. Students utilizing TA are provided with a waiver of all college fees. Active duty military personnel using TA for the first time must contact the VEC (Virtual Education Center) or ESO (Education Service Office) for their appropriate branch of service. It is recommended that you submit applications to your command a minimum of 30 days prior to the start of the quarter for which you plan to attend. TA requests must be approved by your command between 120 and 14 days prior to the start of the quarter. In addition to applying to your command, you also need to complete the admission process with Skagit Valley College.

For further assistance, or general questions regarding Military Tuition Assistance, contact Enrollment Services on the Whidbey Island Campus at 360.679.5329.

My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MYCAA)

The MyCAA Scholarship is available for eligible military spouses to pursue licenses, certificates, certifications, or certain associate degrees necessary to gain employment. To use MyCAA, you must create an account online at https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa. All approvals for MyCAA must be completed 15 days prior to the start of the quarter. In addition to applying through the MyCAA portal, you also need to complete the admission process with Skagit Valley College.

For further assistance, or general questions regarding MyCAA, contact: Enrollment Services on the Whidbey Island Campus: 360.679.5329.

Financial Aid

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7666
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5320

As a student at Skagit Valley College, financial aid in the form of grants, loans, and employment may be available to assist with educational expenses. Financial aid is awarded according to policies set by the US Department of Education, the state of Washington, and Skagit Valley College. To determine your financial need, you must first complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov or, if you are ineligible to complete the FAFSA, the Washington Application for Student Financial Aid (WASFA) application at www.readysetgrad.org. Please visit the Financial Aid Office for assistance with completing the applications. Most financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis relative to need and subject to availability of funds. Priority funding dates are established on an annual basis and are published on the SVC Financial Aid web page.

Eligibility Determinations

The information provided on the FAFSA/WASFA determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC will then be subtracted from the budgeted “cost of attendance” to determine your financial need. Need-based aid (grants and waivers) is awarded based on unmet financial need. After your FAFSA/WASFA application has been received, additional information will be requested of you to verify the information provided and to assist in an equitable distribution of available funds. Students who have not been awarded financial aid are still responsible for the payment of their tuition and fees. Students who do not have completed applications submitted by the priority deadlines established by SVC will not be guaranteed to have financial aid awarded by tuition deadlines. Students should familiarize themselves with the priority filing deadlines on the SVC Financial Aid web page.

Federal regulations require that students must have obtained a high school diploma or GED® or have demonstrated an ability to benefit in an adult learning environment (as defined by the US Department of Education) in order to be eligible for financial aid funding. If you receive financial aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP), in accordance with the SAP policy, which is available on the SVC Financial Aid web page

Financial Aid Refund and Repayment Policy

Financial aid students are subject to the Federal Title IV, State, and institutional refund and repayment policies. It is the responsibility of the financial aid recipient to carefully review these policies to determine the ramifications of withdrawing or ceasing attendance. Refund and repayment policies are outlined in the Conditions of Award, available on the SVC Financial Aid web page. Sample repayment calculations are available upon request. Financial Aid students who officially or unofficially withdraw from all classes may owe a repayment of federal, state, and/or institutional aid.


  • Federal Pell Grant
    A federal grant program, based on significant financial need, for students enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program. Eligibility is established by completing the FAFSA.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
    A federal grant program for students with exceptional financial need, who are enrolled at least half-time (6+ credits). Preference is given to students receiving Pell Grants.

  • Washington College Grant (formerly State Need Grant)
    An income-based state grant program for low-income state residents based on family size and income. State Need Grant is dependent on limited state funding, and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to students who are in the College Bound Scholarship program. Eligibility is established by completing the FAFSA or WASFA. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 aid-eligible credits.

  • College Bound Scholarship (CBS)
    The College Bound Scholarship program provides financial assistance to low-income students who want to achieve the dream of a college education. Students who enrolled in the CBS program in 7th or 8th grade, completed high school with a 2.0 GPA or higher, and meet all other SVC financial aid requirements will be eligible for the maximum award amount each year. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 aid-eligible credits.

  • Washington State Tuition Waiver
    State tuition waivers may be awarded to state residents with demonstrated financial need, to assist with tuition payment.

  • SVC Grants
    An institutional grant awarded to students with demonstrated financial need, to assist with direct and indirect costs associated with their cost of attendance, as determined by SVC. Students must meet residency requirements to qualify.


Federal, State, and Institutional Work-Study

Work-Study programs offer part-time on-campus work for students with demonstrated financial need. If eligible, you may work up to 19 hours per week and choose from a variety of jobs that offer valuable career-related experience. Work-Study allows you to earn an hourly wage for work. Paychecks are issued twice a month. Placements are not guaranteed. Program eligibility is available to enrolled students who have room in their cost of attendance and who meet all other eligibility requirements. Funding for these programs is based on federal, state, and institutional allocations. Jobs are posted to the online job board, located on the Financial Aid website.


Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans

Federal Direct Loans are long-term, low-interest/fee loans available through the school and the U.S. Department of Education. Interest rates/fees change July 1 each year. Current interest rates and fees are updated on the SVC Financial Aid web page. A FAFSA is required in order to determine eligibility and receive Direct Loans. Students must be pursuing an aid-eligible degree or certificate and must be enrolled in at least 6 eligible credits. First-time borrowers will have their funds delayed until 30 days into the first quarter.

separate application is required by SVC in order to receive Direct Loans. The application is available on the Financial Aid website and should be completed once the student has received their award notification and determines additional funding may be needed. The  SVC application is in addition to the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note requirements mandated by the Department of Education. 

Direct Subsidized Loans

The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on Direct Subsidized Loans while you are enrolled at least half-time. Subsidized Loans are only available to student borrowers. 

Students are eligible to receive Subsidized Loans for 150% of their degree/certificate length. If the maximum timeframe is exceeded, loss of interest subsidy will occur. See “Federal Direct Loans-Getting-Started” under the Financial Aid portion of our website for more details.

*Direct Unsubsidized Loans (see table below)

Unsubsidized Loans do not require demonstrated financial need and begin accruing interest upon first disbursement. Students are responsible for paying the interest on Direct Unsubsidized Loans. If students choose not to pay the interest while attending school and during the grace period, interest will accrue and be added to the principal amount of the loan.

Year Dependent Students Independent Students
Annual Loan Limit (0-45 credits) $5,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $9,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Annual Loan Limit (46-90 credits) $6,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $10,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Annual Loan Limit (90+ credits) $7,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan. $12,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be subsidized loan.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans

Federal Direct Parent PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) Loans are not based on need, however, the student must complete the FAFSA and all other requested documents. PLUS loans are obtained by parents of dependent students to help meet their educational costs. The interest rate/fees for this loan changes July 1 each year and interest is not deferred. Current interest rates and fees are updated on the SVC Financial Aid website.


The SVC Foundation scholarship application process for the following school year, begins in December or January of each year, with submission deadlines in late-February or early March each year. All prospective, current, and graduating SVC students are eligible to apply. Other departmental and outside agency scholarships may be available throughout the year. For more information on SVC Foundation Scholarships, visit the Foundation website.

Workforce Grant Scholarship Programs

Worker Retraining


Worker Retraining is a state-funded program that provides job-related training and employment services to dislocated and unemployed workers to help them gain additional training in their existing field or get started on a new career path. You may be eligible for Worker Retraining if you:

  • Have been laid off or have received a layoff notice from a WA State employer AND
  • Are currently receiving or are eligible to receive Washington State unemployment benefits; OR
  • Have exhausted Washington State unemployment insurance benefits within the past 48 months
  • Have accepted Stop Gap Employment 
  • Are a Displaced Homemaker
  • Are in danger of losing your current job if you do not gain new skills
  • Are a Veteran who has been discharged within the past 48 months
WorkFirst Program


The WorkFirst Program assists eligible parents with job skills training and preparation. Parents who qualify for the program may be eligible to receive WorkFirst Tuition Assistance to pay for one quarter of tuition, fees, and textbooks for approved classes. Parents who are working in paid employment and meet the income guidelines may be eligible. Those on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) referred by their case manager for vocational training receive priority. For more information, please contact the Workforce Grants office.

Basic Food Employment and Training Program


The Basic Food Employment and Training Program (BFET) assists Food Stamp recipients who have been assessed as needing basic education, high school, GED®/CCB, ELA, or vocational training in order to increase their opportunities for employment. Allowable costs include tuition, fees and books for education and support services. All Food Stamp recipients not receiving TANF may be eligible for the Food Stamp Employment and Training Program. For more information, please contact the Workforce Grants office. 

Opportunity Grant


The goal of the Opportunity Grant is to help low-income adults reach the educational tipping point-and beyond-in high-wage, high-demand careers. Reaching the tipping point allows the least prepared individuals to complete 45 credits, receive a credential and increase job skills and knowledge through career pathways. Eligible students pursuing approved pathways including Early Childhood Education; Allied Health; Nursing, Manufacturing; Welding; Manufacturing, Office and Accounting Technologies, Business Management and Automotive, may receive funds to cover tuition, mandatory fees up to 45 credits. and up to $1,000 for books/supplies per academic year. For more information, please contact the Workforce Grants office.

Early Achievers Grant


The Early Achievers Grant (EAG) serves eligible students who are currently employed in an actively-participating Early Achievers child care facility. The EAG provides 52 credits of college tuition toward ECE training and up to $1,000 per year toward the cost of books along with wrap-around student support services.

Click here to learn more about any of the above Workforce Grants programs and to apply.

Job Corps Scholars Grant


Job Corps Scholars Program is a national demonstration project aimed at providing at-risk youth with job skills instruction, educational opportunities, and individualized employment services. The program combines job training, classroom education, and employment services to give participants an opportunity to excel in today’s job market. The Job Corps Scholars provides funds for tuition, books, transportation, and more! 


Other Financial Assistance Programs

Tuition Payment 

The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to make a partial tuition payment prior to the start of the quarter, and defer their remaining tuition balance until approximately one month into the quarter. Students must make a 40% down payment of their tuition and are assessed a $30.00 processing fee. For more information, please contact kathleen.hawkins@skagit.edu.

Cardinal Complete


The Cardinal Complete Program offers funding and scholarship support to cover the cost of tuition and fees for students who are within 15 credits of completion of an eligible degree or certificate program. In addition to being within 15 quarters of completion, a student must not owe a debt to SVC or be on Financial Aid Suspension to qualify. Awards are based on funding levels.

For more information contact:

Student Emergency Assistance

The Student Emergency Assistance Fund was established to provide assistance to students at risk of not continuing their education due to unexpected financial dilemmas. The fund is only allocated for sudden, urgent, or unforeseen occurrences that require immediate attention and would impact the student’s ability to stay in college and complete their educational goal. Students must demonstrate “emergency” financial need.

Types of emergency awards include:

  • Rent ($1,200 annually)
  • Auto Repairs ($1,000 annually)
  • Gas ($150 per quarter)
  • Bus Pass ($20 per quarter)
  • Child-Related costs ($1,500 per quarter)
  • Health-Related costs ($500 annually)
  • Groceries ($200 per quarter)
  • Essential Utilities ($300 annually)
  • Technology ($500 annually)

For more information contact:

Or for more information about Emergency Assistance and to apply, click here

Childcare Assistance

The Childcare Assistance fund can assist you with the cost of out-of-pocket dependent care expenses for dependents residing with you during the academic year for care incurred as a result of attending classes at Skagit Valley College (that is, during periods that include but are not limited to class time, study time, fieldwork, internships, and commuting time to and from SVC). Dependents can include: any children for whom you are the legal guardian, step children, or siblings who reside in your household for whom you are responsible for providing care. Childcare providers must be licensed by the Washington State Department of Early Learning. Does not include children over the age of 12. Must meet income guidelines to qualify.

For more information contact:

Or for more information about Childcare Assistance and to apply, click here.

Financial Aid Without a High School Diploma or GED (Ability to Benefit)

Students without a High School Diploma or GED who are participating in a financial aid eligible degree or certificate program that is considered an eligible career pathway, may qualify for federal and/or state financial aid. This support is referred to as Ability to Benefit (AtB). AtB has the potential to support students in pursuit of postsecondary education and training/credentials needed for careers in high-demand occupations. For more information, please schedule an appointment with Counseling and Advising by calling 360.416.7654.

Waivers & Discounts

Waivers or other programs may be available to certain unemployed, underemployed, or dislocated workers. For more information, call 360.416.7649.


College athletes carrying 12 or more credits may be eligible for a 25% athletic waiver. The athletic department must approve eligible students.

State Employees

Half-time or more, permanent state employees may take courses per quarter (up to 6 credits) on a space-available basis (or in classes still open on the first day of the quarter) for a reduced fee (restrictions apply).


See Veterans/Military-Affiliated Tuition Funding.

Families of Fallen Veterans and National Guard Members

See Veterans/Military-Affiliated Tuition Funding.

Unemployed or Under-Employed Residents

Unemployed or under-employed people may register for classes on a space-available basis without tuition charges. Fees attached to coursework will be charged accordingly. You are eligible if you:

  • Have lived in Washington for at least 12 months
  • Are 21 years of age or older
  • Have not attended college in the past six months
  • Are not receiving or eligible for unemployment compensation
  • Have a combined monthly household income of below $1,254 for a one-member family, $1,587 for two, $1,959 for three, $2,312 for four, $2,644 for five (call for amount for additional dependents)
  • Have been or will be unemployed for six months prior to the start of the quarter