Jul 06, 2022  
2017-2018 Catalog SVC 
2017-2018 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Services


Skagit Valley College admits students on a first come, first served basis. If you are a high school graduate and you apply to the college, you are eligible for admission. If you are not a high school graduate, and you are 18 years of age or older, you may be admitted if:

  1. Your high school class has graduated; OR
  2. Your high school district has released you; OR
  3. You have successfully completed the General Educational Development (GED®) test

If you are under the age of 18 and a high school junior or senior, you may apply to be conditionally admitted. Students who seek to be conditionally admitted must receive permission to enroll from the high school district in which you reside and the Skagit Valley College Vice President of Student Services.

Students are admitted to SVC in the order applications are received. During registration, if a course fills, students who could not enroll in the course are placed on a wait list. As vacancies occur, students on the wait list will be admitted in the order in which they appear on the wait list.

Running Start

High school juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher are eligible for Running Start. To become a Running Start student, talk with your high school counselor or contact the Counseling Office at Skagit Valley College. You must submit an admissions application, a current high school transcript, and students who plan to enroll in math or English composition must complete an assessment. A signed Running Start Enrollment Verification Form is required at the time you register.

College in the High School

“College in the High School” is a dual credit program located on a high school campus or in a high school environment in which a high school student is able to earn both high school and postsecondary credit by completing postsecondary level courses with a passing grade. College in the High School programs may include both academic courses, and career and technical education.

College in the High School (CHS) programs provide college-level academic courses to 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students. Courses are taught at the high school, by high school teachers, with college curriculum, college textbooks, and oversight by college faculty and staff. Students pay tuition High school students should check with their school counselor or faculty about courses available at their high school; class availability varies.

How to Apply

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7700
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5319
South Whidbey: 360.341.2324
San Juan: 360.378.3220

Submit a Skagit Valley College Application, available from the Enrollment Serivces’ Office or apply online through the SVC website. Learn more about your steps to becoming a Cardinal here: www.skagit.edu/getstarted.

How to Apply as a Drop-in Student

If you would like to attend SVC but are not seeking a degree or certificate, you may register as a “drop-in” student. Go to www.skagit.edu/getstarted for more information and current registration dates. The SVC Quarterly Schedule is available online at www.skagit.edu/schedules. Students who plan to enroll in math or English composition, or 10 credits or more, must complete an assessment or provide transcripts.

If You Are Military Personnel

SVC is a Service members Opportunity College. Selected programs of study are approved by Washington’s State Approving Agency for enrollment of those eligible for benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, U.S. Code. As a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) program, SVC grants credit for military schools and training using the American Council on Education and the SOC program. A maximum of 67 credits for non-traditional learning may be granted toward the Associate in Arts General Studies SOC Degree.

A SOC applicant must take a minimum of 12 credits at SVC. The total number of credits required is 90.

For the Associate in Arts University and College Transfer Degree, a maximum of 14 non-traditional credits may be applied to the elective requirements. In some circumstances, minimum resident credit requirements may be waived for active duty military personnel under this program.

If You Are a Veteran

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7610
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5389

If you are a veteran, or a dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for educational benefits. To apply for your VA educational benefit, contact the Veterans’ Education Office at Skagit Valley College and complete the online application at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. You are required to apply for admission to Skagit Valley College and verify enrollment with the Veterans’ Education Office at SVC. If you have earned credits at other colleges, you must furnish official transcripts during the first quarter of enrollment.

Skagit Valley College participates in the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31), the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), and the Fry Scholarship. For students eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Fry Scholarship, tuition will be paid by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs once the student certifies enrollment with the SVC Veterans’ Education Office. For more information about GI Bill benefits and eligibility contact any SVC’s Veterans Education Office.

The Veterans’ Education Office at Skagit Valley College will ensure that the classes you register for are necessary to achieve your degree or certificate. Any changes in your class schedule must be reported immediately to the Veterans’ Education Office at SVC. Benefits may be adversely affected or even terminated if it is discovered that you failed to attend classes, withdraw after the drop period, or take courses not necessary to your stated educational objective. It is your responsibility to report any changes, drops, adds, or withdrawals to the Veterans’ Education Office.

Skagit Valley College expects all students to make satisfactory progress in accordance with established college scholastic standards. Student Work Study positions may be available in the Veteran’s Education Offices on the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses as well as in the local communities for veterans attending school. For more information, contact the Veterans’ Education Office.

Veterans Eligibility for Resident Rate Tuition

ESSB 5355 modified the definition of resident student to comply with federal requirements established by the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act). The Choice Act requires states to charge in-state tuition and fees to “covered individuals” training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and the Montgomery GI Bill®.
A “covered individual” is defined in the Choice Act as:

  • A Veteran who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from active duty.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in Washington (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls at SVC within 3 years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Individuals who initially meet the requirements above will maintain “covered individual” status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at SVC even if they are outside the 3-year window or enroll in multiple programs. Continuity of enrollment is not broken by holiday vacations; vacation periods; periods during the school year between quarters or by non-enrollment in summer quarter.

It is not necessary for the student to take steps to establish Washington as their permanent domicile although they may want to do so if they plan to stay in Washington, especially if they plan to attend college after they exhaust their benefits.

Veterans Tuition Waiver

A veteran who was honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces may be eligible for a 20% tuition waiver if the student meets all of the following requirements.

  • Can qualify as a WA resident at the time of enrollment per RCW 28B.15.012.
  • While serving as an active or reserve member in the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard, the veteran served in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil, or international waters, or in another location in support of U.S. Armed Forces that were on foreign soil or international waters.
  • That service is recorded on the veterans DD214 or other official documents.
Please contact the Veterans’ Education Office to determine eligibility.
Mount Vernon Campus:
Whidbey Island Campus:

Tuition Waivers for Families of Fallen Veterans and National Guard Members

Skagit Valley College will waive all tuition and certain fees for the children, adopted children or stepchildren, and spouses of eligible veterans or National Guard members, who died while on active duty, are permanently and totally disabled because of service connected injury or illness, are missing in action, are prisoners of war or who are rated by the Veteran’s Administration as 100% disabled. “To be eligible a child must be a Washington domiciliary between 17 and 26 and the child of a Washington State domiciliary. A surviving spouse, to be eligible must be a Washington domiciliary, and it must have been ten years or less since the loss. In addition, the spouse must not have remarried. Each recipient’s continued eligibility is subject to the school’s satisfactory progress policy.”

Total credits earned using this waiver may not exceed two hundred quarter credits, or equivalent of semester credits. The two hundred quarter credit limit applies to all combined credits earned via this waiver at state of Washington colleges & universities.

Note: An “eligible veteran or national guard member” means a Washington domiciliary who was an active or reserve member of the U.S. military in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.

International Students


The International Programs Office provides services to international students attending Skagit Valley College.

If you choose to study at Skagit Valley College, you are sure to have the opportunity to receive an excellent education. You will find many qualities that may meet your needs: a family-like atmosphere where everyone is welcome, an appreciation of diversity and a desire to enrich the education we provide with a global perspective.

Students from throughout the world choose Skagit Valley College for many reasons including:

  • Safer, smaller town environment - Mount Vernon was named “Best Small Town in America”
  • Family-like atmosphere
  • No TOEFL test is required for admission
  • Dynamic Conversation Partner Program
  • Peer Mentor Program
  • Small classes, personal attention
  • One-to-one attention through an international student office with staff members to help you with all your needs
  • Excellent transfer record to 4-year institutions
  • Academic English as a Second Language Program, if needed
  • SVC International Homestay program
  • Convenient on-campus student housing (dormitories)
  • Access to personal academic and transfer advisors
  • English tutoring services through the Tutoring Center
  • Excellent technical programs for career training (25 total)
  • Active clubs & student organizations
  • Close to Seattle and Vancouver, Canada
  • Conveniently located to year-round recreation (skiing, hiking, scuba diving, golfing and kayaking)
  • Public transportation and airport pickup upon first arrival

English Language Requirements

International students may apply with or without TOEFL scores.

Applicants without TOEFL Scores

Strong skills in English help ensure success in other classes. Students without TOEFL scores will be given a placement test before registering for classes. Students whose test results show skills adequate for college work will be excused from Academic English as a Second Language (AESL). Others will be required to take AESL classes until the language requirement has been met.

Applicants with TOEFL Scores

  • TOEFL scores below iBT 45, CBT 133, or PBT 450: Students will be required to take Intensive English courses until they are adequately prepared for Bridge Levels. Students at Bridge Levels are considered matriculated college students.
  • TOEFL scores iBT 45-52, CBT 133-150, or PBT 450-473: Students will be accepted into Bridge 1, which is a combination of AESL and college-level classes.
  • TOEFL scores iBT 53-60, CBT 153-170, or PBT 477-497: Students will be accepted into Bridge 2, which is a combination of AESL and college-level classes.
  • TOEFL scores iBT 61, CBT 173, or PBT 500 and above: Students are waived from any AESL or Bridge levels and will begin to work directly on their degree.

Transfer Credits

Many students receive transfer credits from their previous institutions which are located overseas. In some cases, students have received between 50 and 60 transfer credits. Students will need to go through a two-step process of having foreign transcripts evaluated.  First, submit transcripts for initial evaluation by one of the member organizations on www.naces.org.  Second, after receiving the official evaluation from the NACES member organization, submit official evaluation results along with original transcripts and the SVC transcript request form to Enrollment Services for an official credit evaluation. (Please note that all transcripts should be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.)  It is recommended that students start this process as soon as possible.

Application Process

All documents should be written in English or accompanied by an official English translation. Original documents are required with all applications. It is your responsibility to make copies before submitting. We will not make copies for you. An admission decision will be made after all documents have been submitted and evaluated.

Application Steps:

  • Complete international Student Application
  • Submit official bank statement and complete Certificate of Financial Responsibility (sponsor letter), located on the back of the application. (See www.skagit.edu/international for current costs.)
  • Submit official transcripts from high school and any previous colleges, including any ESL training.
  • Include a recommendation letter from someone (not a family member) who can comment on your character and potential for success in an academic setting.
  • Copy of picture page in passport
  • If applicable, include a TOEFL score.** The SVC code for your TOEFL score is 4699.
  • $25 (U.S.) application fee.
**This will not be necessary for students who wish to take advantage of our “No TOEFL” policy.
In addition to the above application process, international students already attending school in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa and who plan to transfer to Skagit Valley College should also submit:
  1. Copy of I-94
  2. Copy of all previous I-20s issued.
  3. Transfer student information sheet completed by your current International Student Advisor
  4. Copy of passport pages that contain photograph and VISA information.

Basic Education

Students who want to improve English language skills, complete a HS21+ Adult High School Diploma or GED®, or improve academic math, reading and writing skills to prepare for college level course work may be eligible for Basic Education classes. To enroll in English Language Acquisition (ELA), High School Completion (HSC) or College and Career Bridge (CCB) students must complete a registration form for an orientation class (ELA 010 or CCB 010).  During the orientation students will be assessed and placed in the appropriate classes. Tuition for the program is $25 per quarter. Students may qualify for a tuition waiver based on income. For more information or assistance call 360-416-7640 or visit Lewis Hall room 127on the Mount Vernon Campus.

For more information
Tel: 360.416.7734 | Fax: 360.416.7868
E-mail: internationaladmissions@skagit.edu
Web: www.skagit.edu/international

Tuition & Fees

For academic purposes and certification for various benefits (insurance, student loans and financial aid, social security, tax credits, etc.), full-time status is defined as 12 or more credits. Special fees and other class fees are listed in this catalog and the at www.skagit.edu/tuitionfees.

Go to www.skagit.edu for the current tuition schedule and course fee schedule, or call:

  • 360.416.7600 (Mount Vernon)
  • 360.341.2324 (South Whidbey)
  • 360.679.5330 (Whidbey Island)
  • 360.378.3220 (San Juan)

Lower Division Tuition Table

Courses below 300-level; does not apply to ABE, ESL, or HSC courses

No. of Credits Washington Resident Non-State Resident Non-US Resident
1 $114.80 $127.80 $286.80
2 $229.60 $255.60 $573.60
3 $344.40 $383.40 $860.40
4 $459.20 $511.20 $1,147.20
5 $574.00 $639.00 $1,434.00
6 $688.80 $766.80 $1,720.80
7 $803.60 $894.60 $2,007.60
8 $918.40 $1,022.40 $2,294.40
9 $1,028.20 $1,145.20 $2,576.20
10 $1,138.00 $1,268.00 $2,858.00
11 $1,192.44 $1,365.70 $2,917.45
12 $1,246.88 $1,463.40 $2,976.90
13 $1,301.32 $1,561.10 $3,036.35
14 $1,355.76 $1,658.80 $3,095.80
15 $1,410.20 $1,756.50 $3,155.25
16 $1,464.64 $1,854.20 $3,214.70
17 $1,519.08 $1,951.90 $3,274.15
18 $1,571.02 $2,047.10 $3,331.10
19 $1,667.28 $2,132.78 $3,599.36
20 $1,763.54 $2,218.46 $3,836.12

Upper Division Tuition Table

300- and 400-level courses

No. of Credits Washington Resident Non-State Resident Non-US Resident
1 $253.41 $266.41 $606.38
2 $506.82 $532.82 $1,212.76
3 $760.23 $799.23 $1,819.14
4 $1,013.64 $1,065.64 $2,425.52
5 $1,267.05 $1,332.05 $3,031.90
6 $1,520.46 $1,598.46 $3,638.28
7 $1,773.87 $1,864.87 $4,244.66
8 $2,027.28 $2,131.28 $4,851.04
9 $2,275.69 $2,392.69 $5,452.42
10 $2,524.10 $2,654.10 $6,053.80
11 $2,535.43 $2,890.41 $6,065.82
12 $2,546.76 $3,126.72 $6,077.84
13 $2,558.09 $3,363.03 $6,089.86
14 $2,569.42 $3,599.34 $6,101.88
15 $2,580.75 $3,835.65 $6,113.90
16 $2,592.08 $4,071.96 $6,126.22
17 $2,603.41 $4,308.27 $6,137.94
18 $2,612.24 $4,542.08 $6,147.46
19 $2,847.11 $4,766.37 $6,735.30
20 $3,081.98 $4,990.66 $7,323.14

State Support of Higher Education Students

The average cost to educate a resident full-time community or technical college student for the 2017-18 academic year is $8,063. Students pay an average of $3,123 in tuition toward this cost. The remaining $4,940 is an “opportunity pathway” provided by the State and is funded by state taxes and other sources. The amounts shown are averages for a full-time, resident student. The actual tuition a student pays will vary due to credit load, residency status and other factors.

Pursuant to RCW 28B.15.0681 the sources of all institutional revenue received during the prior academic year and the uses of tuition revenue collected during the prior academic year is published at the following link: http://www.sbctc.edu/resources/documents/colleges-staff/programs-services/tuition-fees/hb-1795-disclosure.pdf

Net Price Calculator

SVC has provided a tool for you to determine the cost of your education including the impact of any financial aid award you will be receiving. You will also be advised of the difference between grants, loans, and work study awards. While all efforts are made to ensure the accuracy of the calculator, every student’s situation is different so students are advised to do their own calculations as well. The calculator can be found on the college website at www.skagit.edu/netpricecalculator.

Basic Education

Students who want to improve English language skills, complete a HS21+ Adult High School Diploma or GED®, or improve academic math, reading and writing skills to prepare for college level course work may be eligible for Basic Education classes. To enroll in English Language Acquisition (ELA), High School Completion (HSC) or College and Career Bridge (CCB) students must complete a registration form for an orientation class (ELA 010 or CCB 010). During the orientation students will be assessed and placed in the appropriate classes. Tuition for the program is $25 per quarter.  Students may qualify for a tuition waiver based on income. For more information or assistance call 360-416-7640 or visit Lewis Hall room 127 on the Mount Vernon Campus.

Tuition Payment Plan

The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to make payments on their tuition over the course of a quarter. Students must make a down payment of 40% of their tuition and a $30.00 processing fee. For more information contact: Mount Vernon Financial Aid Office at 360.416.7666 or Whidbey Island Campus Financial Aid Office at 360.679.5320.

Determination of Residence

Determining Residency

Residency status is determined at the time your application for admission or class registration is processed. The presumption is that before domicile is established, an individual must do everything a resident of Washington is required to do as stated below:

  1. Students must prove conclusively that they have not come to Washington State primarily for educational purposes. (Students who are taking 6 credits per quarter.)
  2. Students must live in the state for at least 12 consecutive months as legal residents. A legal resident is an individual who has relinquished all valid legal ties (e.g., driver’s license, voter registration, vehicle registration, etc.) with their former state of residence and established such ties in Washington.
  3. Establish legal ties:
    • Permanent employment of 30+ hours will be a factor (if taking more than 6 credits a quarter during the first year of being present in Washington State).
    • Driver’s license/state ID. Students must obtain a Washington State Driver’s License within 30 days of arrival if they have a current out-ofstate driver’s license. A Washington State Identification Card must be obtained if student has no driver’s license.
    • All motor vehicles, RV, boat, trailer registrations. All registrations must be registered in Washington. Students who own or drive a vehicle in Washington must be registered in Washington within 30 days of arrival.
    • Voter registration. Students who have a current out-of-state voter’s registration must register to vote in Washington within 30 days of arrival. If an individual has previously registered to vote in another state, they must register to vote in Washington. If the student does not register to vote in Washington, this means that s/he may still vote absentee in the prior state of residency
    • Establish a bank account in Washington.
    • Be financially independent for the current and prior calendar years. (Students who are not 25 years of age or older must submit their parents’ most recent tax returns).

Once domicile is established, the student may be eligible for in-state tuition 12 months from the date of arrival if all legal ties were in place within 30 days. This is because the Washington statute says that domicile must be in existence for one year immediately prior to the first day of the quarter for which the student wants to be classified as a resident.

The determination for residency can be complicated and other factors may help students establish proof of domicile. After filling out the residency questionnaire, a residency officer will review it and may request additional documentation.

Proof of Residency

No single factor or specific combination of factors provide a guarantee that a student will be eligible for residency status. A student can begin to establish and document residency in the state of Washington by completing the following:

  • Obtain a Washington State driver license or identification card.
  • Register all motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, boat, and trailers in the state of Washington.
  • Register to vote in the state of Washington.
  • Provide copies of your rent receipts (or lease agreements or home purchase papers).
  • Open (or transfer) your checking/savings account to a bank branch in Washington State.
  • Keep receipts from Immigration and Naturalization Service that show the date your application for Permanent Resident Status was filed (if applicable).

After you have established domicile in the state of Washington for the required period, it is your responsibility to request a change in residency status. Applications for a change in classification will be accepted up to the thirtieth calendar day following the first day of the quarter for which application is made.

For more information, call 360.416.7620 or 360.675.6656.

Residency for Military Personnel

If you are active duty military, stationed in the state of Washington, you, your spouse and dependents qualify as residents for tuition purposes. At the time you, your spouse or dependent family members apply for admission, you must provide documentation such as a copy of your military ID card or other appropriate documents.

Student Eligibility to Pay In-State Tuition

RCW 28B.15.012(e) (commonly referred to as HB 1079).which took effect July 1, 2003 allows people who are not documented as citizens to attend college paying in-state tuition. Eligibility: People who have resided in Washington State for the three years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma and completed the full senior year at a Washington high school or who have completed the equivalent of a high school diploma and resided in Washington State for the three years immediately before receiving the equivalent of the diploma and who have continuously resided in the state since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent.

Quarterly Fees

Subject to change by the Washington State legislature and/or the Skagit Valley College Board of Trustees. Go to www.skagit.edu for the most current information on the fees listed below.


Student Building Fee $1.50 per credit
($15.00 maximum)  
Student Technology Fee $5.00 per credit
($40.00 maximum)  
General Use Fee $2.50 per credit
($42.50 maximum)  
Universal Technology Fee $8 per credit

Additional Fees

ABE-ESL-HSC Fee $25.00
(per person per quarter)  

Special Student Fees

State Classified Employees $20.00
Replacement Diploma $10.00

Class Fees (per quarter)

Allied Health Education (AHE):  
AHE 114 $150
AHE 111,133,135 $10
AHE 200 $20
AHE 110 $25
AHE 106 $40
AHE 107,108,113,120,115 $100
Art Studio $40
Automotive Tech (AT)  
AT 185 $60
AT 207, 210 $140
AT 205, 212, 215 $160
AT 121, 131 $140
AT 107, 124, 133 $160
AT 141 $240
Banking & Financial Services (NCTA) $30
BASEC Lab Fees:  
ENVC 302 $25
CHEM 301, ENVC 304, 310, 315, 320, 327, 405, 407, 412, 420, and 424 $80
(per course)  
Biological Sciences 205 Summer Field Study Course Fee $575
Composites Lab Fee - CMPST 121, 123, 126, 127, 220 $35
Computer Information Systems - CIS 103,221,222,223,233 $45
Craft Brew - BRW 103,107,110,120,125 $100
Criminal Justice Lab Fees:  
CJ 215, 216, 257 $35
Parks Law Enforcement Academy $1,550
Police Reserve Academy $325
Culinary Arts:  
CAHM 298 $125
CAHM 238, 239 $100
CAHM 165, 172, 185, 240, 241, 242 $200
Dental Assistant - DEN 110, 112, 113, 114 $50
Desert Odyssey Learning Community $1,000
Diesel - DSL 102, 103 104, 202, 203, 204 $100
Early Childhood Ed (ECED, EDUC):  
ECED& 105, 107; EDUC& 115, 122, 160 $10
English Writing Lab Course Fee $22.00
Environmental Science 101 Summer Field Study Course Fee $300
Environmental Conservation Lab Fee:  
ENVC 225 $40
ENVC 101, 102, 112, 122, 123, 130, 140, 165, 201, 210, 211, 212, 220, 221, 231, 232, 244, 245, 249 $75
Environmental Sustainable Agriculture $75
Fire Protection  
FIRE 101, 103, 230 $10
FIRE 113, 126, 130, 160, 270, 271,272 $40
FIRE 120, 121, 122 $300
FIRE 123 $150
FIRE 161 $160
FIRE 240, 242 $75
FIRE 246 $68
Flagging ID Card Replacement $5.00
General Liability Insurance Coverage $2.50
Geographic Information Systems Lab Fee:  
GIS 101, 102, 105, 106, 202, 203 $30
Health & Fitness Lab $20
Kayak class (Whidbey) $10
Life Drawing $40
MANF110, 140, 145, 150, 156 $35
MANF 103, 107, 122, 125, 130, 131, 210, 215, 250, 256 $70
MANF 115, 120, 190, 205 $100
Marine Maintenance Technology lab fee $35
Math Lab Course Fee $22
Multimedia Game and Web Development:  
MIT 205 - NCTA Fee $20
Music $20
Music Lesson Course Fee $550
Natural Science Field Study Course Fee $50
NURS 100 (NAC) Lab Fee $10
NURS 120 (NAC) Lab Fee $50
NURS 101 $55
NURS 107, 108 $42
NURS 102, 109, 111, 113 $50
NURS 161 $100
NURS 162, 163, 201, 202 $200
NURS 203 $50
NURS 173, 273 TBD*
NURS 276, 279 TBD*
NURS 182, 192, 282 TBD*
NURS 286, 289. TBD*
Nursing/Medical Assistant/Pharmacy Tech Malpractice Insurance (per year) $16
Science Lab courses $40
Science Lab - BIOL& 260 $60
Student Intern Insurance (per year) $10
Technical Design TECD 103, 104, 105, 107 $100
Veterinary Assistant:  
VET 105, 107, 110, 112, 113 - NCTA fee $40
1 credit course $25
2 credit course $45
3 credit course $25
5 credit course $25
9 and 16 credit courses $200
Whidbey Swimming $10
*to be determined  


Non-disabled $5.00

Parking Fines

General $10
Carpool Parking without permit $20
If parked in handicapped $75
If parked in fire lanes $50


Credit by exam (per credit) $2
Tuition costs must be paid in addition to the $2/credit  
Retest for COMPASS $15
GED® $120
Writing and other Retests $30
GED® Transcript $4
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam  
SVC Student $82
Non-SVC Student $97
Prior Learning Assessment $60/credit
Non-SVC proctored private tests $20 (per hr.)

Course Materials & Supplies

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7728
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5313

The Cardinal Bookstore is located on the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses. Course materials for San Juan Center and South Whidbey Center courses are available through either location.

The bookstore stocks a wide variety of items, including required and optional course textbooks and materials - both new and used - as well as course supplies, uniforms, Skagit Valley College insignia items and school supplies.

At the end of each quarter, the bookstore offers a textbook buy-back service.

The bookstore web site www.cardinalbookstore.com can be used to purchase textbooks as well as to look up textbook information and pricing. These services can also be accessed through the online registration process.

Both bookstore locations remain open in the evenings on selected days during the first week of the quarter.


Tuition and fees are the student’s responsibility. Failure to attend a class does not constitute a course drop. Students who do not officially withdraw will be assessed full tuition and fees, and refunds will not be made.Requests for late drops will not be granted simply because the student was unaware of the policies, or failed to submit a drop form.

In the event of non-payment, the college may pursue the collection of amounts due as allowed by law, and will add collection costs to the amount due. Unpaid accounts may be sent to an outside collection agency and may be reported to one or more credit bureau reporting services.  Collection agency fees of up to 50% will be assessed on the unpaid balance of an account, after internal collection efforts have failed to result in full payment.  Students are responsible for paying all collection fees assessed. In the event of a disagreement about payments due, you may request an informal hearing with the Vice President of Student Services. 

Refund Policy

The following rules address refunds of student tuition and fees:

  • A full refund is given for any course cancelled by the college. It is the student’s responsibility to officially notify Enrollment Services of drop status within the refund period.
  • Refunds for withdrawal from classes will be made as follows:
  • 100% refund if a student officially withdraws through the fifth officially scheduled instructional day of the quarter.
  • 50% refund if a student officially withdraws after the fifth instructional day of the quarter and before the eleventh instructional day of the quarter.
  • For course sections starting prior to the first officially scheduled day of the quarter or after the fifth officially scheduled day of instruction for the quarter, refunds will be calculated for each course section consistent with the above schedule, but using the first day of class in place of the first officially scheduled day of the quarter as used above.
  • The first official day of class for E-Learning is the first day of the quarter.
  • Per RCW 28B.15.605, no refunds will be given beyond the 20th calendar day of the quarter except as stated in RCW 28B.15.605.

Community Education, Computer Training Institute

A student will receive a 100% refund if the college cancels the class or if the student officially withdraws 48 hours prior to the first class meeting. No refund will be given thereafter. Material fees will not be refunded. Exceptions must be approved by the Community Education Office.

For more information, contact the Community Education Office at 360.416.7638.