Mar 05, 2021  
2017-2018 Catalog SVC 
2017-2018 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information


Mount Vernon: 360.416.6655
Toll free number: 1.877.385.5360

Can’t Come To Campus? Let Us Come To You!

Skagit Valley College is committed to students and providing quality education at the time and place that is most convenient to their learning.  With this in mind, the college offers a wide selection of courses that are fully online and hybrid.  In a fully online course, students can access course content via the internet and work with their classmates using engaging technology from anywhere and anytime they have internet access.  Hybrid courses give you the best of both worlds offering some time in the classroom and the other instruction hours online when it is convenient for the learner.  Almost all of our face-to-face classes even use the online technology (example: email, website resources, online videos, learning management system, etc.) to help enhance the learning experience.

Online degree options include:  AA-DTA, a two-year transfer degree, an Associate of Technical Arts degree in Computer Information Systems or Multimedia and Interactive Technology, and an Associate of Arts General Studies degree. Most requirements for many other degrees and certificates can be completed online. For more information about courses offered online and learning support services available to you as an online student check out the website

Developmental Education

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7642
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5307

Many students entering college or returning after some time away from studies need and want additional work to prepare for college-level courses. To help meet the needs of these students, Skagit Valley College offers both tutorial services and various levels of courses in foundational mathematics, reading, and writing. Placement in many of these courses is determined by recommendation or performance on assessment tests required as part of the college admissions process.

Some courses are offered in the traditional classroom format, others are provided through individualized, self-paced instruction in the Mount Vernon Campus Academic Skills Center, and certain ones are available through E-Learning. These courses are numbered below 100 and, although taken for credit, are not counted toward a college degree. They are included in the course descriptions section of Chapter 7 of this catalog.

Basic Education for Adults

Basic Education for Adults (BEdA) serves students who want to improve English language skills; complete a high school diploma; prepare for the GED® (General Educational Development) exams; and/or improve academic skills in reading, writing and math to prepare for transition to college level courses.  Basic Education offers English Language Acquistion (ELA)  , College Career Bridge (CCB)  , and HS21+ Adult High School Diploma   (HSC) courses. Courses are listed under Basic Education for Adults  found in the Areas of Study  

English Language Acquisition

Classes in English Language Acquistion (ELA)   and Academic English as a Second Language  provide language instruction to non-native speakers of English. Refer to English Language Acquistion (ELA)   course descriptions listed under Basic Education for Adults  found in Areas of Study .

ELA offers beginning, intermediate and advanced classes primarily for immigrants in our community. Classes emphasize listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Job readiness is a component of all ELA courses, as well as the practical use of English in everyday life. Students in upper levels are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities such as I-BEST, College and Career Bridge (CCB), high school completion, Academic ESL and/or college certificates and degrees.

AESL courses are offered to international students and other non-native speakers in conjunction with or preparation for entering college credit programs. AESL courses provide students with the language skills needed to succeed in Academic and Professional/Technical studies at Skagit Valley College.

Running Start

Running Start is a cooperative effort between Skagit Valley College and high schools. The program allows high school juniors and seniors to attend college classes and earn high school and college credits simultaneously.

Running Start students attend regular SVC classes during the school day, in the evening, or via E-Learning. Upon the satisfactory completion of the course requirements, college credit is granted that may be transferable to most colleges and universities. Credits may also apply to high school graduation.

High school juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher are eligible for Running Start. To become a Running Start student, talk with your high school counselor. You must submit an admissions application, a current high school transcript, and determine and complete your placement method.  To view the steps for applying to Running Start go to\runningstart.

The Running Start program covers the cost of tuition for up to 15 credits of college-level courses per quarter. You will need to pay fees, buy books, supplies or materials, and you must follow all regular SVC policies and regulations regarding student performance, behavior, and course prerequisites.

High School Diploma

There are two ways to earn a high school diploma from Skagit Valley College:

  1. Adult High School Completion

An individual who satisfactorily meets the high school requirements as determined by the college shall be awarded a diploma from the college, subject to rules adopted by the superintendent of public instruction and the state board of education.

  1. Upon Completion of an Associate Degree


An individual enrolled through Running Start who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, including an associate of arts degree, associate of science or biology degree, associate of technology degree, or associate in applied science degree, shall be awarded a state high school diploma from the college upon written request from the student. (These individuals are not required to complete the State Board of Education’s graduation requirements.)

An individual twenty-one years or older who enrolls in the college for the purpose of obtaining an associate degree and who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, including an associate of arts degree, associate of science or biology degree, associate of technology degree, or associate in applied science degree, shall be awarded a high school diploma from the college upon written request from the student. Individuals under this subsection are not eligible for funding provided for K-12 students. (These individuals are not required to complete the State Board of Education’s graduation requirements.)

Tech Prep


Tech Prep is a dual credit program, which means high school students can earn high school AND college credit for completing the same course. These courses are part of a Career and Technical Education (CTE) program that can lead to a college certificate or degree. Tech Prep students gain tremendous advantages by preparing for their post-secondary education while in high school. They can pursue the credential that is right for them, whether it be an associate or bachelor’s degree, or a post-secondary industry certification. Some students begin exploratory Tech Prep courses in 9th and 10th grades. Typically, a student can link two or more years of high school with college credit classes. For more information go to

Worker Retraining


Worker Retraining is a state-funded program that provides job-related training & employment services to dislocated and unemployed workers to help them gain additional training in their existing field or get started on a new career path. You may be eligible for Worker Retraining if you:

  • Have been laid off or have received a layoff notice from a WA State employer AND
  • Are currently receiving or are eligible to receive Washington State unemployment benefits; OR
  • Have exhausted Washington State unemployment insurance benefits within the past 24 months.

For more information, contact the Worker Retraining Coordinator.

WorkFirst Program


The WorkFirst Program assists eligible parents with job skills training and preparation. Parents who qualify for the program may be eligible to receive WorkFirst Tuition Assistance to pay for one quarter of tuition, fees and textbooks for approved classes. Parents who are working in paid employment and meet the income guidelines maybe eligible. Those on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) referred by their case manager for vocational training receive priority. For more information please contact the Workforce Grants office.

Basic Food Employment and Training Program


The Basic Food Employment and Training Program (BFET) assists Food Stamp recipients who have been assessed as needing basic education, high school, GED®/ABE, ESL or vocational training in order to increase their opportunities for employment. Allowable costs include tuition, fees and books for education and support services. All Food Stamp recipients not receiving TANF may be eligible for the Food Stamp Employment and Training Program. For more information please contact the Workforce Grants office. 

Opportunity Grant


The goal of the Opportunity Grant is to help low-income adults reach the educational tipping point - and beyond - in high-wage, high-demand careers. Reaching the tipping point allows the least prepared individuals to complete 45 credits, receive a credential, an increase job skills and knowledge through career pathways. Eligible students pursuing approved pathways including Early Childhood Education; Allied Health; Nursing, Manufacturing; Welding; Manufacturing, Office and Accounting Technologies, Business Management and Automotive may receive funds to cover tuition, mandatory fees up to 45 credits and up to $1,000 for books/supplies per academic year. For more information please contact the Workforce Grants office.

Apprenticeship Programs

Carpenter Apprenticeship

A four-year program of paid on-the-job training and related instruction. Graduates receive a journey level certification from the Department of Labor and Industries and the United Brotherhood of Carpenters. VA approved. For more information please call the apprenticeship office at 360.428.2933.

Instructional Assistant and Education Paraprofessional Apprenticeships

This apprenticeship program is a structured program of on-the-job training and related classroom instruction provided by Skagit Valley College. It is a joint effort by employers, employees and the State Department of Labor and Industries to increase the skill level of K-12 public school employees and provide employers with a pool of well-trained personnel with job specific skills.

The Washington Public School Classified Employees Apprenticeship Committee, in cooperation with Skagit Valley College, provides two specific apprenticeship programs for employed paraeducators in K-12 public school settings. The Instructional Assistant program consists of 2,000 hours of on-the-job training and 45 credits of related training. The Educational Paraprofessional program is also available to those apprentices that complete the Instructional Assistant program. The college courses selected to meet apprenticeship requirements may also be used toward earning an education paraprofessional certificate or degree. Contact the Early Childhood Education (ECE) Dept Chair for current apprenticeship scholarship information. For more information contact Washington Public School Classified Employees Representative Tim Busch at 360.336.2240 or the ECE Department Chair at 360.416.7787.

Electrician Apprenticeship

A five-year program of paid, on-the-job training and related instruction. Includes classroom training covering all phases of electrical work leading to Journeyman status. VA approved. For more information, please call the apprenticeship office at 360.428.5080.

Facilities Custodian Apprenticeship

A 42-credit program covering on- the-job training and related instruction. VA approved. For more information please call the Washington Public School Classified Employees apprenticeship office at 360.338.2240.

Cooperative Education

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7684

Cooperative education takes the student out of the classroom and into the world of work, where it is possible to explore career-related hopes and dreams. Cooperative education bridges the gap between theory and practice and creates community partnerships with local employers.

The program is a requirement for all students who earn an Associate in Technical Arts degree. Co-op offers students a chance to prepare for careers in business, industry, government and non-profit organizations. Co-op students gain work experience, build a network of mentors, and learn what preparation they need to be successful in their chosen field.

Opportunities normally exist for both volunteer and paid positions. Students may work on- or off-campus and must complete at least 30 work hours per credit. A weekly seminar about work-related issues, such as communication, goal setting and problem-solving, is also required. 

Learning Into Action

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7630

Transfer degree-seeking students have the opportunity to synthesize and put the knowledge and skills they have learned into practice in an applied learning environment. Students may complete a one credit, 30-hour project which allows them to creatively apply their knowledge, acquired skills, and critical thinking. Potential projects include:  community service, original research, study abroad, campus-related activities, foreign travel, work study, thesis papers, mentoring, working with external agencies, visiting/developing exhibits, or capstone projects. Students may participate in either individual or collaborative projects, and carry out their projects in consultation with a faculty sponsor. For more information, contact Counseling and Career Services at the Mount Vernon or Whidbey Island campuses.

Parent Education

Mount Vernon: 360.416.7635
Whidbey Island: 360.679.5347

The Family Life program offers parents and families the opportunity for parenting support, education and involvement in a developmentally appropriate toddler or cooperative preschool program. Participate in your child’s social and intellectual development and increase your knowledge of child development, health and safety, and much more. For more information, contact the Family Life program coordinator.

Active-Duty Military & Dependents

For more information: 360.679.5330

Skagit Valley College welcomes both active-duty military and their dependents to attend classes as students. Active duty students may be eligible for Military Tuition Assistance. Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. All active duty military members wishing to use Military Tuition Assistance should first contact their unit’s Education Service Office to determine their eligibility, application requirements and contact points.

Spouses of service members on active duty in paygrades E-1 to E-5, W-1 & W-2, O-1 & O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders may be eligible for the MyCAA Scholarship. The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue license, certificates, certifications or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations.

Other financial aid and tuition assistance may be available; see Financial Aid   or call 360.679.5320.

Community Programs

Community Education 360.416.7638

These non-credit classes and workshops are short in length, affordable, and offered at convenient times including evenings and weekends. They include a wide variety of non-credit classes for personal enrichment and professional development.

The Computer Training Institute offers non-credit computer workshops on current software programs, operating systems, and Internet activities. Courses are conducted in a hands-on computer training lab. Topics include personal computers, Internet/e-mail, Microsoft Office applications, QuickBooks, and media applications such as Digital Photography, Photoshop and Web Page Design.

You may earn Continuing Education Units (CEU’s), contact hours or required certifications to maintain your professional license through the community education program.

Serving the Business Community

Customized Training for Businesses

Businesses today are faced with emerging technology, limited resources, and a changing marketplace. To keep up with all these changes, employees need ongoing training. Skagit Valley College provides efficient and effective training with an eye on the bottom line and a plan to help develop a company’s most important asset - employees.  Expertise in any of the degree and certificate areas offered at SVC can be delivered at a time, location, and topic customized to your business.  Through innovative assessment, delivery and evaluation, we provide excellent value. 

Foreign Travel

Credit may be earned either through coursework associated with organized trips sponsored by the college or through independent travel, enrollment in foreign educational institutions, or through international exchange programs. 

Independent Study

Independent study may be taken through individual instructors for one to five credits per quarter, in any department. A limit of one independent study course per quarter is recommended. The course is identified as 251-255 in the department in which the work is done and may be repeated for credit. An independent study form may be obtained from Enrollment Services and must be signed by the instructor, Department/Division Chair and Dean prior to enrollment.

Honors and Graduation

Honor Roll

At the conclusion of each quarter, each student’s grade point average is computed. Those students who obtain a grade point average of 3.75 or better and have carried a 12-credit load or more in graded courses are placed on the Honor Roll for the quarter.

Honors & High Honors

Students graduating with a degree or state-approved certificate receive Honors for a cumulative SVC GPA of 3.50 to 3.79 and High Honors for a cumulative SVC GPA of 3.80 to 4.0 in courses numbered over 100. Designations are listed on the student transcript and in the commencement program.

President’s Medal

Graduating sophomores or seniors who achieve a 3.90 to 4.0 GPA and all A or A- grades in all coursework, with no ‘I’, ‘Z’ or ‘V” grades in courses numbered over 100 may be eligible for the SVC President’s Medal. The specific and complete criteria for the President’s Medal may be obtained at the Office of the Vice President for Student Services.

Honors Reception

One of the culminating events of every school year is the annual Honors Reception at both the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island Campuses. The Honors Reception is a celebration of both academic achievement and student involvement in campus activities. More information about the Honor Reception may be obtained at the Office for Student Life.

Phi Theta Kappa

Skagit Valley College is a member of the Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society for two-year colleges. The Theta Upsilon Chapter is on the Mount Vernon Campus, and the Alpha Omicron Sigma Chapter serves the Whidbey Island Campus.


Diploma Application

Students are required to submit a diploma application approximately two quarters prior to registering for their final quarter. The online application is located at

If you are graduating Summer Quarter 2018 and would like to participate in the commencement ceremony, apply by the beginning of Spring Quarter 2018.

The degree/certificate will be posted to your official transcript at the end of the quarter in which the requirements were completed. Students can complete their degree/certificate at the end of any quarter.

Your degree/certificate status can be reviewed at Progress Tracker (degree audit) on the SVC website within MySVC in the Resources/Advising section and/or with your advisor.  (The Associate in General Studies is not available on Progress Tracker at this time.)

Diplomas take approximately 12 weeks to be mailed after the end of the quarter in which the degree/certificate was earned.

Commencement Ceremony

All students who graduated or will be graduating during this current academic year (Summer 2017 through Spring 2018) are encouraged to attend the graduation commencement ceremony at the end of Spring Quarter.

To participate, the degree/certificate requirements must be satisfied OR be within 10 credits or two classes or one quarter of degree/certificate completion by the end of Spring Quarter 2018.

Please see the Academic Calendar for the ceremony dates at Mount Vernon, the Whidbey Island campus and the San Juan Center.