The Dental Foundations (DEN) program is a collaborative educational program being offered through a partnership between Skagit Valley College (SVC) and the Northwest Career and Technical Academy (NCTA) - located on the SVC campus. This is a three-quarter program designed to provide entry-level skills and education to co-enrolled high school juniors, seniors and college students interested in a future career as a dental professional. This is a full-year program (Sept.-June) with courses scheduled sequentially. Classes are block-scheduled for 2.5 hours per day Monday-Friday. Students can choose either the 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 section or the 11:30 to 2:00 p.m. section.
General Education Learning Outcomes
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Dental Assisting program will be able to:
- Demonstrate academic, technical & professional skills that effectively contribute to the dental healthcare team.
- Demonstrate cognitive retention of dental terminology, theory and science.
- Perform basic dental front office skills.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, problem solving, communication, and positive work ethics as they directly relate to the dental profession.
- Prepare to obtain an entry-level position in their field of study.
Please apply at Enrollment Services . Students may enter the Dental Foundations program at the beginning of Fall quarter. For more information, contact the Department Chair or Enrollment Services.
A certificate is awarded to those students who complete courses with a minimum C grade or above in each course.
Approximately one-year long, certificates are intended to provide students with specialized training and skills.