Apr 23, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog SVC 
2018-2019 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

GED® Preparation

What is the GED® ?

The GED®, also known as the General Education Development exam, provides a certificate of high school equivalency for persons who have not completed their high school education. The exam consists of four separate tests, one for each of the following areas:

  • Social Sudies,
  • Science,
  • Math,
  • Reading (Literature) and Writing (English). 

How do I take the GED® exams?

GED® examinations in English or Spanish are offered in the Skagit Valley College testing centers on the Mount Vernon and Whidbey Island campuses. To register, schedule and pay for GED® testing, visit www.ged.com.    

Why take the GED®?

The GED®  is a good option for persons who have strong academic skills and want to gain a high school equivalency certificate through testing of their knowledge.  It may also be a good option for persons under age 21 who are unable to complete high school through other options. Persons with a GED® can still pursue a high school diploma through HS21+ or the Open Doors program at Skagit Valley College. While the GED® is accepted by many employers and institutions of higher education in lieu of a high school diploma, it may not be accepted by some employers or for military service.

GED® Preparation

SVC offer courses to help students prepare for GED® exams in English and in Spanish. The GED®  exam is administered on the computer and students need to have strong academic skills and knowledge in the areas of reading, writing, math, computer technology, social studies, and science in order to pass the exam.​​ Enrolling in College and Career Bridge or High School Complete classes is strongly recommended.


  • Individuals 19 years of age or more who have not earned a high school diploma or equivalency credential can prepare them to take the GED®  exam.
  • Individuals age 16-18 who have not graduated from high school must provide a high school release form (obtainable from the high school were you currently live), or if homeschooled, a notarized statement of homeschooling. 
  • Individuals with a student or au pair (F1, M1, or J1) visa should contact the International Student  Office for information on options.

What is the Cost?

Tuition is $25 per quarter. You may take more than one Basic Education class at no extra cost. A tuition waiver is available for those who meet income eligibility.

How to Register for Classes

Mount Vernon Campus: New students should register for CCB 010 - CCB Orientation . Orientation classes are held the week before classes start. Assistance in registering is available in Lewis Hall at the Admissions Desk or in room L127

Oak Harbor Campus: Students should enroll in the CCB course offered that quarter. Assistance in registering is available in Old Main Hall at the Admissions Desk


Mount Vernon Campus: 360.416.7640
Whidbey Island Campus: 360.679.5339