Aug 18, 2022
Skagit Open Doors Youth Re-Engagement High School Completion (Open Doors) program is for eligible youth 16-20 years of age who are missing high school credits. Students enroll in BEdA and college classes to work toward earning a GED® and/or high school diploma. Open Doors is a competency based program modeled on the HS+ Adult High School Diploma program. Students meet graduation requirements required by their home school district through high school and college coursework and/or prior learning gained from work and life experience. The student’s home high school awards credit based on competencies earned at Skagit Open Doors and issues the high school diploma.
Benefits of Open Doors:
- Earn a valid Washington State High School Diploma.
- Credit may be awarded for life or work experiences.
- Earn college credit while completing your high school diploma.
- An Open Doors Navigator meets regularly with students to support them in achieving their goals.
- Teachers who care about your success!
- Information and planning for further education or career training.
Cost of Program:
There is no cost for students who are accepted into the program. Funding is provided by the State of Washington OSPI.
Students are eligible to apply for the Skagit Open Doors program if they meet the following criteria:
- Are at least 16 years of age and under 21 years of age.
- Have not met high school graduation requirements.
- Currently are not attending or enrolled in high school OR are recommended for enrollment by case managers from DSHS, juvenile justice, school district, or community agencies.
- Live in a Skagit Open Doors school district: Anacortes, Burlington-Edison, Concrete, La Conner, Mount Vernon, or Sedro-Woolley.
How to Apply
Applications are available from your local high school or from our office. Acceptance into the Skagit Open Doors program is based on eligibility, school district approval, and SVC Open Doors Director approval.
Register for Classes:
After official approval of your application, a Skagit Valley College Open Doors Navigator will assist you in enrolling in classes and developing a completion plan.
Mount Vernon Campus: 360-416-7640
Whidbey Island Campus: 360-679-5339