The Health and Fitness Technician (HFT) program prepares students for entry-level work in the expanding health and fitness industry. This is a one-year certificate program which can also be taken on a part-time basis. Coursework includes anatomy and physiology, principles of strength training, principles of cardiovascular training, fitness testing, kinesiology, group exercise instruction, injury prevention, nutrition, and others. Typical job titles include personal trainer, fitness trainer, group exercise instructor, health and wellness consultant, fitness specialist, and strength and conditioning coach.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Health and Fitness Technician program will be able to:
- Obtain an entry-level position in a health-fitness related workplace.
- Prepare to pass a nationally accredited Personal Trainer certification exam.
- Prepare to pass a nationally accredited Group Fitness Instructor certification exam.
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing and leading group exercise programs.
- Demonstrate proficiency in developing and instructing safe and effective personal training programs to improve stability, mobility, and function.
- Use appropriate strategies to motivate clients to adopt healthier behaviors.
- Demonstrate proficiency at basic fitness assessment and program design.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, and technical and information literacy skills.
Entry into the Program
Please apply at Enrollment Services. The admission and registration guidelines are listed in the catalog and on the College’s website at www.skagit.edu. Although students may enter the program at the beginning of any quarter, some key courses are offered only at specific times during the year.
Students will integrate their classroom learning with work-based learning by participating in Cooperative Education (HFT 199 ) at a supervised work site. Department Chair approval is required.
A Health & Fitness Technician Certificate is awarded upon completion of required courses with a minimum 2.0 GPA in each course plus a high school diploma or GED.
CoursesHealth & Fitness Technician