Jul 12, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog SVC 
2018-2019 Catalog SVC [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

HS21+ Adult High School Diploma

HS21+ Adult High School Diploma is a competency based high school completion program for adults 21 years of age or older who do not have a high school diploma. High school competency requirements may be met through high school and college coursework; prior learning; or learning gained from work, military or life experience. Unmet requirements may be achieved through coursework at Skagit Valley College. Upon completion of the program students are awarded a Skagit Valley College High School Diploma. Students can dually enroll in a college certificate or degree program while completing their HS21+ diploma.

Benefits of getting a high school diploma through High School 21+

  • Earn a valid Washington State High School Diploma.
  • Life or work experiences may meet required competencies.
  • Earn college credit while completing your high school diploma.
  • Meets High School Diploma requirements for employment and military service.
  • Teachers who care about your success!
  • Information and planning for further education or career training.

What is the Cost?

Tuition is $25 per quarter. You may take more than one Basic Education class at no extra cost. A tuition waiver is available for those who qualify.


  • Individuals must be 21 year of age or older to earn a HS21+ Adult High School Diploma. Individuals 19 years of age or more who have not earned a high school diploma may enroll in high school completion classes. 
  • Individuals age 16-18 who have not graduated from high school must provide a high school release form (obtainable from the high school were you currently live), or if homeschooled, a notarized statement of homeschooling. Students under age 20 may be eligible for the Open Doors high school completion program for youth.
  • Individuals with a student or au pair (F1, M1, or J1) visa should contact the International Student Office for information on class options.

Other Program Requirements

Official high school transcript(s) for evaluation of completed high school coursework.

How to Register for Classes

Mount Vernon Campus: New students should register for CCB 010 - CCB Orientation . Orientation classes are held the week before classes start. Assistance in registering is available in Lewis Hall at the Admissions Desk or in room L127. During orientation you will get assistance in determining which course is best for starting your completion program.

Oak Harbor Campus: New Students should enroll in HSC 010 - Academic Success Skills  or CCB 010 - CCB Orientation . Assistance in registering is available in Old Main at the Admissions Desk.

  • I already have GED.Can I still earn a HS21+ Diploma? Yes!
  • I have a diploma from another country.Can I still earn a HS21+ Diploma? Yes!
  • What if I am under age 21? You may still be eligible to enroll in High School Completion classes to either prepare for the GED or complete your diploma through the Open Doors program.   When you turn 21 then the classes you completed could count toward a HS21+ Diploma.  

Contact Us

Mount Vernon Campus: 360.416.7640
Whidbey Island Campus: 360.679.5339