Sep 23, 2020
Transfers to Western Washington University.
This degree is intended to prepare students for entry into a teacher certification program at Western Washington University. Although this degree will be granted to SVC students completing a cumulative 2.0 GPA, entry into a Bachelor’s degree Education program may require a higher GPA for admission. Seek out an SVC Early Childhood Education or Education Paraprofessional program advisor early in your studies.
Students must complete 102 quarter credits in transferable courses with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in order to graduate from SVC with an Associate in Education degree. At least 25 college-level credits must be earned at SVC. Credits must satisfy course requirements listed below.
Courses with an ampersand (&) are Common Course Numbering courses; * is a lab course.
1. Communication Skills (10 cr.)
2. Quantitative Skills (10 cr.)
3. Distribution Requirements (45 cr.)
A. Natural Sciences (15 cr.)
B. Social Sciences (15 cr.)
D. Education Core (19 cr.)
E. Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Core (10 cr.)
F. Specialization - choose 1 course (3 cr.)
Associate in Education
This degree not only offers the needed preparation in critical ECED content (as recommended by the National Association for the Education of Young Children Associate’s Degree Standards) for employment upon graduation, but also prepares students for future transfer to a four-year college or university. It also better meets the current emphasis in ECED for teachers with a broader knowledge of general education. The A.Ed. coursework is equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education and as such meets the requirements of employers, especially public school districts, federal Head Start programs and the state sponsored preschool program (ECEAP) for early childhood positions requiring a two-year ECED degree. The degree builds on the Associate in Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degree and includes an additional 15 credits necessary to fulfill the requirements of the Associate in Arts-Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA). This degree will be granted to SVC students completing with a 2.0 GPA; entry into a baccalaureate program at a four-year school will require a higher GPA for admission.
This degree includes prescriptive coursework necessary to:
- Provide foundational preparation in the field of education.
- Prepare students for the career field of early childhood education.
- Prepare students to transfer seamlessly into baccalaureate teacher preparation programs, such as Western Washington University’s Woodring College of Education’s Undergraduate Elementary Education Professional program.
- Fulfill the requirements of the ECED certificates.
- Fulfill the requirements of the Associate in Arts-Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA).
* This degree will be granted to SVC students completing with a 2.0 GPA, i.e. a minimum C grade in each course.
∞ Specialization, choose one, three credit class from the following: ECED& 132 , ECED& 134 , ECED& 139 , or EDUC& 136 .
† Students who do not receive an appropriate test score will require additional coursework to develop necessary skills for entry into class.
~ ENGL& 101 and ENGL& 102 need to be taken in an integrated format. Please contact the department chair for further details.
% or EDUC& 202
€ or EDUC& 122 with department chair permission
√ 2 PE activity credits (excludes PE 200 , PE 204 and PE 205 )